Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to my TimeCapsule from the Internet

hi there

my time capsules working great locally, however Id like to be able to access files of the attached USB drive remotely on my iPad or a mac. Would anybody have any ideas how I can do this?

Ive got file browser on my iPad - and their support page says that this ha broken in the last firmware update 😟. Could anybody perhaps shed any light on the issue or have any tips on how to achieve this? ( http://www.stratospherix.com/support/gsw_timecapsule.php?page=6remote )

many thanks

Nick

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:21 AM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Nickholl

It should still work.. you may however have trouble with the Dynamic DNS part. The best and actually only proper solution is to pay for a static IP from your ISP.. then the whole problem of changing IP goes away. Anyone who seriously wants reliable remote access will do this.

Some people have got the global DNS to work.. just look it up.. I personally have a static IP.. since for me access that is reliable is important so I really cannot tell you how to do it.

The other solution is use a non apple router... Apple deliberately make their routers conform to the apple network requirements.. that means there is no valid method to access files from an ipad.. since apple have not provided a method to do that.

SO the other right solution.. is to push the Apple routers to bridge mode.. if they are not already.. and replace your current router function with a vpn router.. these are maybe a $200 for lightweight business type.. you can buy even cheaper ones that run third party firmware.

There is vpn app built in or available on all OS.. iOS, Mac, everything. The router will have standard ddns clients built in that work.. and vpn is secure.. the method used by filebrowser I am sorry to say is not secure. It is actually something I recommend against.. since opening ports for SMB in internet routers is asking for trouble and the only port that seems to work is so obvious.

If you want the access.. spend the money and do it right way first.

Apr 19, 2015 1:58 AM in response to LaPastenague

back to my mac would be fine for me. Unfortunately it seems like it quite hard to get it running 😟. Ive entered my iCloud details on the TC but according to the forums the TC needs to be in NAT mode to allow the WAN sharing over iCloud (apparently). When I turn NAT on I get 2 errors in Airport utility - 'setup over WAN and 'Double NAT' :-/ Which I have no idea how to rectify.

I really know nothing about router setup and was hoping it would be easier to access over the net (via back to mu mac)

PS. Im guessing there's no Back to My Mac functionality from iPad?

thanks for your help!

Apr 19, 2015 2:35 AM in response to Nickholl

PS. Im guessing there's no Back to My Mac functionality from iPad?

As already mentioned.. apple do not treat the ipad as a file device.. it is designed to work with icloud and that is it. Anything else you do is with Apps that are allowed by apple but have no official support.

TC needs to be in NAT mode to allow the WAN sharing over iCloud (apparently).

That is what we have found.. Apple nowhere states this in black and white but the setup has to be the TC as the main NAT router and no other.. Double NAT which you have tried only makes it worse.. not better.

However access from a Mac is relatively simple.. you just need the TC bridged and port forward AFP (548) in whatever you main router is.

The main router probably can also do dynamic DNS.

So you need to pick.. if you want to use BTMM with a Mac.. you can do it if you replace your existing modem router with a pure modem and then use the TC as the main router..

Or you do it directly yourself using AFP protocol. But neither of these methods work from a ipad.

The only one that works from ipad is vpn.. so take your pick.

Apr 19, 2015 2:42 AM in response to LaPastenague

ok, let forget about the iPad then 🙂

Currently I have my time capsule plugged into my Virgin Media super hub (with wifi turned off). When I enable NAT on my time capsule I get those 2 errors, however, nowhere on the Virgin router can I see any mention of NAT :-/

However access from a Mac is relatively simple.. you just need the TC bridged and port forward AFP (548) in whatever you main router is.

So if I have my TC in router mode: Off(Bridge mode) how do I go about doing the port forward AFP (548) ?!

thanks for your help - I hoped this may have been simpler seeing as though it was from an Apple device 😟

Apr 19, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Nickholl

So if I have my TC in router mode: Off(Bridge mode)

Sorry these are opposites.

Bridge means no router.. that is the mode the TC has to be in to work with the virgin media super hub.

There is then no more configuration required on the TC.. it is now fully and totally up to you to read the manual for the super hub.. and find out how to forward the required port.. 548 TCP and to setup dynamic DNS.

Apple cannot help you because they don't make modems.. and they don't want to help you because you might not pay them money for itunes or icloud..

There is plenty on google to help you find the right method.. but you will need to add the port you need. eg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2Ew1wSv8I

Connecting to my TimeCapsule from the Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.