Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A telemarketer pushed a Reminder to my iOS 7 iPhone 5s

I got a telemarketing call during the day (that's a different thread).

Later in the day, as I pulled into to my driveway, I got a location-based Reminder to call back that telemarketer. Somehow, the telemarketer set a reminder in my phone to call them.

How on earth does this happen and how can I stop it? I'm on Do Not Call lists, I'm on the national registry. I know about telemarketing calls. But this is the first I've seen of a telemarketer having a Reminder put on an iPhone.

On this topic...

Dear Apple,

Please release whatever restriction you have that prevents apps from blocking calls. I want telemarketing block apps like Android has whereby the app has its own central database of spammer/marketers which gets queried before my phone ever rings. They block the call and I never knew the call happened. I understand Apple won't allow these type apps. Come on, Apple.

So for now, I've got True Caller, which is similar except it is based on a contact it puts in your contact list. The app adds 100's (or more?) numbers to that one contact and blocks that contact. That's not a smart way to go about it. As the list gets to 100,000 numbers, can ONE contact keep that many numbers?

Back on topic - how are telemarketers putting reminders on my phone and how can I stop it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 7:12 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2017 6:53 AM in response to shanec26

So, I just received one of these as well. In my case, I did not receive a physical call, it was one of those direct to voicemail messages I've been hearing about. The first thing I saw on my lock screen was the reminder, so I can assure you that this was not a case of operator error.

The only person who should be setting reminders on my phone is me. The ability for telemarketers or collection agencies to automatically do this is downright disturbing. If anyone knows a way to disable this "feature," please let us know.

Jun 16, 2017 6:57 AM in response to Martini Man 1961

Martini Man 1961 wrote:

The ability for telemarketers or collection agencies to automatically do this is downright disturbing. If anyone knows a way to disable this "feature," please let us know.

If telemarketers really had this feature, all of them would be using it. That's not happening. Without seeing your screen, it's hard to say exactly what you saw. However, it could have been a voicemail notification.

Apr 18, 2015 7:50 AM in response to shanec26

shanec26 wrote:

I got a telemarketing call during the day (that's a different thread).

Later in the day, as I pulled into to my driveway, I got a location-based Reminder to call back that telemarketer. Somehow, the telemarketer set a reminder in my phone to call them.

How on earth does this happen and how can I stop it? I'm on Do Not Call lists, I'm on the national registry. I know about telemarketing calls. But this is the first I've seen of a telemarketer having a Reminder put on an iPhone.

Most likely, what happened is, when trying to dismiss the call, you accidentally hit the Remind me button. When someone calls you, in addition to the standard options, you also have the option to reply with a message or set a reminder to call the person back.

See page 52 of the manual:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

As for the rest of your post, Apple isn't reading here. Submit any feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

A telemarketer pushed a Reminder to my iOS 7 iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.