Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 crash on Macbook Air when power adapter is connected

I installed Windows 7 on MacBook Air 11" recently. Everything works except Windows crash with abrupt power off randomly especially when power adapter is plugged in. Can anyone advise on resolution please? Thanks.

MacBook Air, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:59 AM

Do you have BC drivers installed? Are there any unknown devices in Device Manager?

As a test, can you reset SMC - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support?

6 replies

Apr 19, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Thanks for the tip.

I presume by BC drivers you mean Battery drivers (which consists of Microsoft AC adapter, Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, and Microsoft Composite Battery)? There is no improperly installed driver (i.e. no device showing ? question mark) nor do I have unknown devices in Device Manager.

I did the reset SMC procedure and it seems stable for a while, but the crash still happens barring less frequent.

Kind regards,

clyeo

Apr 19, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, all BC. drivers were installed.

The only non -bootcamp driver I installed is for the Wi-Fi adapter. The native BC Wi-Fi driver does not support Cisco PEAP authentication which my office uses. I downloaded the Broadcom driver from Lenovo support site which works perfectly.

The crash happens happens usually when power adapter is plugged in and random.

Thanks

CL

Apr 19, 2015 7:30 AM in response to clyeo

Is the same driver directly available from the Broadcom website? There are differences between the Apple and non-Apple version of cards. All WiFi cards have a power management function which interacts with the OS kernel. Due to firmware differences, it is possible that such an interaction is broken, causing Windows kernel some issues.

Look at the Event Viewer and determine the cause of the Windows crash. I suspect it is related to your WiFi driver.

Apr 20, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Loner T

I cannot find the driver on Broadcom website. I downloaded similar Broadcom driver from Lenovo instead.

Your last email gave me a good suggestion, that is, to check the Event Log. I noticed every time the crash happens, the Event Log registered a WMI Event 10 error. I found a patch script on Microsoft support site and applied it. So far it is stable and I didn't get any crash. But need to monitor for a while.

The website is https://support2.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2545227

Hopefully this is the cause. Otherwise I will uninstall Broadcom driver and see if it helps. Thanks.

Windows 7 crash on Macbook Air when power adapter is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.