Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari top Sites looks different, history won't work, am i hacked?

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

2.5 Ghz Intel Core iMac with 8 Gb mem 1333 Mhz

Safari 8.0.5. (10600.5.17)

User uploaded file

After several updates suggested by the auto updates from the app store I noticed that my Top Sites screen suddenly looks different.

The number of sites displayed is always 12, there is no pin nor a delete X on the showed screens.

Which is totally different form how it is supposed to look. Max 24 screens, hoover over it and you get several command icons (Pin, X).

At the same time if I go to History I get the Top Sites Screen (again), the History Screen does NOT show.

If the machine is very busy I sometimes do see the original screen, but immediately that screen disappears and the 'wrong' Top Site screens shows......

So, basically, I do not trust my Top Sites screen and I do not get my history Screen.

I did try to download a movie..........

At the moment aVast is running a check, but I do not think that will help much.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 7:11 AM

If you hover the cursor near the top left hand corner of a site do you get the X/pin?

Remove Avast. It has caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. Uninstall instructions in link.

Avast

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 6:52 AM in response to appledarter

Apple has a habit of changing safari settings to their preference rather than picking up what you want.

If you did not shut down after the updates - do so - wait a minute - and power up. Before opening safari - if your system hooks up immediately to the internet - disconnect - then go into Safari and check and reset your preferences, also review top sites and history for any changes.

You are not hacked if top sites are added --- reset Safari resets it to apples original list - and going to a site a number of times may get it added.

Safari top Sites looks different, history won't work, am i hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.