Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD for 2013 iMac

I would like to add a SSD for faster bootups on my 2013 iMac.

Is adding a thunderbolt drive the only way I can do this by not opening the case?

Does it work as good as if it was installed inside the mac by pcie or sata?

What about USB3?

Thanks in advance

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:31 AM

Is adding a thunderbolt drive the only way I can do this by not opening the case?

Yes.

Depending on the particular tests being used there is a quantifiable difference but you would be hard pressed to notice it. It's not worth opening the case IMO. Not for a desktop anyway, for which you can add an additional device that can remain connected to it all the time.

A portable Mac would be another story altogether.

What about USB3?

It's not as fast as Thunderbolt.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 8:31 AM in response to areynot

Yes.

Depending on the particular tests being used there is a quantifiable difference but you would be hard pressed to notice it. It's not worth opening the case IMO. Not for a desktop anyway, for which you can add an additional device that can remain connected to it all the time.

A portable Mac would be another story altogether.

What about USB3?

It's not as fast as Thunderbolt.

SSD for 2013 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.