Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would like to upgrade my Mac OS X

Would like to upgrade my Mac OS X 10.6.8 to hight spec for games that require minimum 10.7… can anyone advise how to do this? I'm completely hopeless at things like this and haven't got a clue where or how I'd start???? Thanks Any answers back or help would be great!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 7:25 AM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2015 7:50 AM in response to DarkSnowWhite

Open the Mac App Store and try downloading Yosemite. If you get told it's incompatible, choose About this Mac from the Apple menu, check if the computer has at least a Xeon or Core 2 Duo(not Core Duo) CPU and 2GB of RAM, and if it does, click here and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Back up your data and check your applications for compatibility before upgrading. In particular, Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC programs such as versions of Microsoft Office prior to 2008.

(126251)

Apr 18, 2015 8:11 AM in response to DarkSnowWhite

May I suggest that if your hardware is compatible, and you only have 2GB of RAM memory — it will be enough to boot Yosemite, but insufficient to effectively run Yosemite and applications/games. You will need to upgrade your memory to 8GB from here. An Additional thought is that newer versions of games for later OS X releases may require newer, or specific GPU requirements that are now not met by your older iMac. Do your homework, and check with the individual application/game vendors for those details before you install Yosemite.

Would like to upgrade my Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.