Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with removing omnibar

After a few days of an unnaturally slow mac (10.6.8) EtreCheck advises me to get rid of omnibar.

However, my old mac cannot run the suggested Adware removal program. I've searched a bit and seen about deleting it in Safari's Extensions tab in preferences. The thing is, this appears to be empty.

Any kind offers to help?

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated 18 April 2015 13:53:52 WEST

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook - model: MacBook6,1

1 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

2 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 970

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software: ℹ️

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Time since boot: 1:8:35

Disk Information: ℹ️

TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF disk0 : (232.89 GB)

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 249.72 GB (15.77 GB free) (Low!)

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Broadcom Corp Bluetooth Module

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Applications/Tunnelblick.app

[not loaded] net.tunnelblick.tap (1.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] net.tunnelblick.tun (1.0) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.flipvideo.IOUSBCameraMassStorage (1.0.1) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.prometheanworld.iokit.IOACTIV (5.4) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.Lumens.driver.LumensAudioDriver (1.0.0d1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.lumens.driver.DC260MSDC (1.0.0d1) [Click for support]

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[running] com.flipvideo.FlipShare.AutoRun.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.promethean.activmgr.plist [Click for support]

[running] net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.flipvideo.FlipShareServer.launchd.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

DirectorShockwave: Version: 11.5.6r606 [Click for support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 [Click for support]

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.2.0 [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.2.6 [Click for support]

Musicnotes: Version: 1.18.8 [Click for support]

NP2020Player: Version: 4.5.2.0 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.09 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.0.61118.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

NP_2020Player_IKEA: Version: 5.0.94.1 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.09 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Scorch: Version: 6.2.0 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

Omnibar [Adware! - Remove]

iTube Studio

Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️

DVCPROHDAudio: Version: 1.3.2

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

3ivx MPEG-4 [Click for support]

ACTIVboard [Click for support]

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Perian [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

2% WindowServer

1% Activity Monitor

1% activitymonitord

1% ACTIVhardware

1% notifyd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

34 MB mds

24 MB Finder

19 MB WindowServer

19 MB Activity Monitor

13 MB SystemUIServer

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

178 MB Free RAM

613 MB Active RAM

786 MB Inactive RAM

300 MB Wired RAM

992 MB Page-ins

471 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Apr 18, 2015, 12:36:25 PM Self test - passed

MacBook, iOS 6

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 7:08 AM

14 replies

Apr 18, 2015 8:19 AM in response to portugirl

Please describe the problem in as much relevant detail as possible. The "etrecheck" fad hasn't made that step any less necessary. The usual results of posting etrecheck output on this site without a full description of the problem are very poor.

The better your description of the problem, the better the chance of a solution.

For example, if the computer is slow, which specific actions are slow? Is it slow all the time, or only sometimes? What changes did you make, if any, just before it became slow? Have you seen any alerts or error messages? Have you done anything to try to fix it? Most importantly, do you have a current backup of all data? If the answer to the last question is "no," back up now. Ask if you need guidance. Do nothing else until you have a backup.

Apr 18, 2015 10:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for replying. Yes, I was being rather vague... sorry about that.

First, the computer is fully backed up.

While I am on Safari with various open tabs, the spinning wheel appears and if I am able to, I have to force quit Safari. After that, all other open programs slow right down to the point of having to restart the computer.

The Etrecheck pointed to removing omnibar through an adware removal program which I cannot download as my mac is not running an up to date OS. Other goggled advice suggested removing the plug-in from Safari > preferences > Extensions, but when I go there, the 'Extensions' is empty. Completely empty.

Although it's probably got nothing to do with it, I've turned Time Machine 'off' as I once had some problem that was helped by this.

As far as I know, nothing new has been installed onto the computer and this has been going on for the last three or four days.

Does that help?

Apr 18, 2015 10:24 AM in response to portugirl

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem. But with the aid of the test results, the solution may take a few minutes, instead of hours or days.

The test works on OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later. I don't recommend running it on older versions of OS X. It will do no harm, but it won't do much good either.

Don't be put off by the complexity of these instructions. The process is much less complicated than the description. You do harder tasks with the computer all the time.

2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. Backup is always a must, and when you're having any kind of trouble with the computer, you may be at higher than usual risk of losing data, whether you follow these instructions or not.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. As I wrote above, it changes nothing. It doesn't send or receive any data on the network. All it does is to generate a human-readable report on the state of the computer. That report goes nowhere unless you choose to share it. If you prefer, you can act on it yourself without disclosing the contents to me or anyone else.

You should be wondering whether you can believe me, and whether it's safe to run a program at the behest of a stranger. In general, no, it's not safe and I don't encourage it.

In this case, however, there are a couple of ways for you to decide whether the program is safe without having to trust me. First, you can read it. Unlike an application that you download and click to run, it's transparent, so anyone with the necessary skill can verify what it does.

You may not be able to understand the script yourself. But variations of it have been posted on this website thousands of times over a period of years. The site is hosted by Apple, which does not allow it to be used to distribute harmful software. Any one of the millions of registered users could have read the script and raised the alarm if it was harmful. Then I would not be here now and you would not be reading this message. See, for example, this discussion.

Nevertheless, if you can't satisfy yourself that these instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.

4. Here's a general summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed:

☞ Copy a particular line of text to the Clipboard.

☞ Paste into the window of another application.

☞ Wait for the test to run. It usually takes a few minutes.

☞ Paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page.

These are not specific instructions; just an overview. The details are in parts 7 and 8 of this comment. The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. You don't need to copy a second time.

5. Try to test under conditions that reproduce the problem, as far as possible. For example, if the computer is sometimes, but not always, slow, run the test during a slowdown.

You may have started up in "safe" mode. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

6. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply. Don't log in as root.

7. Load this linked web page (on the website "Pastebin.") The title of the page is "Diagnostic Test." Below the title is a text box headed by three small icons. The one on the right represents a clipboard. Click that icon to select the text, then copy it to the Clipboard on your computer by pressing the key combination command-C.

If the text doesn't highlight when you click the icon, select it by triple-clicking anywhere inside the box. Don't select the whole page, just the text in the box.

8. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window to activate it. Paste from the Clipboard into the window by pressing command-V, then press return. The text you pasted should vanish immediately.

9. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "Syntax error" or "Event not found," enter

exec bash

and press return. Then paste the script again.

10. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. If you don't know the password, or if you prefer not to enter it, just press return three times at the password prompt. Again, the script will still run.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.

11. The test may take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, a series of lines will appear in the Terminal window like this:

[Process started]

Part 1 of 8 done at … sec

Part 8 of 8 done at … sec

The test results are on the Clipboard.

Please close this window.

[Process completed]

The intervals between parts won't be exactly equal, but they give a rough indication of progress. The total number of parts may be different from what's shown here.

Wait for the final message "Process completed" to appear. If you don't see it within about ten minutes, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, press the key combination control-C or command-period to stop it and go to the next step. You'll have incomplete results, but still something.

12. When the test is complete, or if you stopped it because it was taking too long, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

At the top of the results, there will be a line that begins with the words "Start time." If you don't see that, but instead see a mass of gibberish, you didn't wait for the "Process completed" message to appear in the Terminal window. Please wait for it and try again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

13. When you post the results, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

14. This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak for themselves, not for me. The test itself is harmless, but whatever else you're told to do may not be. For others who choose to run it, I don't recommend that you post the test results on this website unless I asked you to.

Copyright © 2014, 2015 by Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work (including the referenced "Diagnostic Test"), I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Use Agreement for the Apple Support Communities website ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

Apr 18, 2015 11:13 AM in response to portugirl

After step 5 of 8 it asked me for password again... then I stopped it after 10 mins. I've pasted the results below, but it means nothing to me.

Thanks in advance for any further help you can give.

Start time: 18:57:39 04/18/15

Revision: 1311

Model Identifier: MacBook6,1

Memory: 2 GB

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Time since boot: 6:21

UID: 501

Graphics/Displays

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Color LCD (Main)

Display Connector

SerialATA

TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF

Root crontab

*/25 * * * * /usr/share/prey/prey.sh > /var/log/prey.log 2>&1

XPC cache: No

Font issues: 35

Listeners

cupsd: ipp

krb5kdc: kerberos

launchd: microsoft-ds

launchd: netbios-ssn

smbd: microsoft-ds

smbd: netbios-ssn

Diagnostic reports

2013-12-10 Finder hang

Kernel log

Sat Apr 18 12:36:35 Warning - com.prometheanworld.iokit.IOACTIV declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.

Sat Apr 18 12:37:07 IOHardwareSet::setCalib : error

Sat Apr 18 13:45:11 (default pager): [KERNEL]: Switching ON Emergency paging segment

Sat Apr 18 13:45:25 (default pager): [KERNEL]: Recovered emergency paging segment

Sat Apr 18 13:48:15 (default pager): [KERNEL]: Switching ON Emergency paging segment

Sat Apr 18 13:48:30 (default pager): [KERNEL]: Recovered emergency paging segment

System log

Sat Apr 18 13:21:40 iPhoto: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID -1

Sat Apr 18 13:21:40 iPhoto: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSSetWindowShadowAndRimParametersWithStretch: Invalid window 0xffffffff

Sat Apr 18 13:21:40 iPhoto: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGSFindSharedWindow: WID -1

Sat Apr 18 13:21:40 iPhoto: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSSetWindowShadowAndRimParametersWithStretch: Invalid window 0xffffffff

Sat Apr 18 14:49:23 com.apple.backupd: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Sat Apr 18 14:49:24 com.apple.backupd: Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

Sat Apr 18 14:59:10 mdworker32: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Sat Apr 18 15:05:18 mdworker32: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

Sat Apr 18 15:11:53 mdworker32: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

launchd log

Fri Apr 17 23:00:39 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Fri Apr 17 23:00:39 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:36 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:36 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:47 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:47 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:49 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:49 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:57 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 12:36:57 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 14:49:13 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 14:49:13 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 15:21:09 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Sat Apr 18 15:21:09 com.apple.SystemStarter: Failed to count the number of files in "/System/Library/StartupItems": No such file or directory

Console log

Fri Apr 17 19:22:01 iTunes: *** attempt to pop an unknown autorelease pool (0x1dd0d200)

Sat Apr 18 13:09:38 iTunes: *** attempt to pop an unknown autorelease pool (0x3907400)

Sat Apr 18 13:09:49 iTunes: *** attempt to pop an unknown autorelease pool (0x1b9de400)

Sat Apr 18 14:00:05 Safari: -[PlatformFrameLoadDelegateForwarder webView:willCloseFrame:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x180b6730

Sat Apr 18 14:59:14 Safari: -[PlatformFrameLoadDelegateForwarder webView:willCloseFrame:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x19062f50

Loaded kernel extensions

e.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib (1.0.0d1)

e.BootCache (31.1)

e.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X (7.0.0)

e.GeForce (6.3.6)

e.NVDAResman (6.3.6)

e.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (4.7.0a1)

e.driver.AGPM (100.12.31)

e.driver.AirPortBrcm43224 (428.42.4)

e.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.3.6)

e.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.3.6)

e.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.3.6)

e.driver.AppleAHCIPort (2.1.7)

e.driver.AppleAPIC (1.4)

e.driver.AppleBacklight (170.0.46)

e.driver.AppleBacklightExpert (1.0.1)

e.driver.AppleEFINVRAM (1.4.0)

e.driver.AppleEFIRuntime (1.4.0)

e.driver.AppleHDA (2.0.5f14)

e.driver.AppleHDAController (2.0.5f14)

e.driver.AppleHPET (1.5)

e.driver.AppleHWSensor (1.9.3d0)

e.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (142.6.0)

e.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (142.6.0)

e.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile (17)

e.driver.AppleLPC (1.5.1)

e.driver.AppleMCCSControl (1.0.20)

e.driver.AppleMikeyDriver (2.0.5f14)

e.driver.AppleMikeyHIDDriver (1.2.0)

e.driver.AppleProfileCallstackAction (20)

e.driver.AppleProfileKEventAction (10)

e.driver.AppleProfileReadCounterAction (17)

e.driver.AppleProfileRegisterStateAction (10)

e.driver.AppleProfileThreadInfoAction (14)

e.driver.AppleProfileTimestampAction (10)

e.driver.AppleRTC (1.3.1)

e.driver.AppleSMBIOS (1.7)

e.driver.AppleSMBusController (1.0.10d0)

e.driver.AppleSMBusPCI (1.0.10d0)

e.driver.AppleSMC (3.1.0d5)

e.driver.AppleSmartBatteryManager (160.0.0)

e.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController (2.4.5f3)

e.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.9.0)

e.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (4.2.4)

e.driver.AppleUSBHub (4.2.4)

e.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub (4.2.4)

e.driver.AppleUSBMultitouch (207.7)

e.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (4.2.0)

e.driver.AppleUSBTCButtons (201.6)

e.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard (201.6)

e.driver.AppleUpstreamUserClient (3.5.7)

e.driver.AudioAUUC (1.57)

e.driver.AudioIPCDriver (1.1.6)

e.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController (2.4.5f3)

e.driver.DiskImages (289)

e.driver.DspFuncLib (2.0.5f14)

e.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily (4.7.0a1)

e.driver.NVSMU (2.2.7)

e.driver.SMCMotionSensor (3.0.1d2)

e.driver.XsanFilter (402.1)

e.filesystems.autofs (2.1.0)

e.iokit.AppleProfileFamily (41)

e.iokit.IO80211Family (320.1)

e.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.3.0)

e.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.6.4)

e.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (2.0.6)

e.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI (1.2.6)

e.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.8.3fc2)

e.iokit.IOBDStorageFamily (1.6)

e.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily (2.4.5f3)

e.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager (2.4.5f3)

e.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily (1.6.1)

e.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily (1.6)

e.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (2.2.1)

e.iokit.IOHDAFamily (2.0.5f14)

e.iokit.IOHIDFamily (1.6.6)

e.iokit.IONDRVSupport (2.2.1)

e.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.10)

e.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.6.5)

e.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily (2.6.8)

e.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice (2.6.8)

e.iokit.IOSMBusFamily (1.1)

e.iokit.IOSerialFamily (10.0.3)

e.iokit.IOStorageFamily (1.6.3)

e.iokit.IOSurface (74.2)

e.iokit.IOUSBFamily (4.2.4)

e.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (4.2.0)

e.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (4.2.4)

e.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient (2.6.8)

e.kext.AppleMatch (1.0.0d1)

e.kext.OSvKernDSPLib (1.3)

e.nke.applicationfirewall (2.1.14)

e.nvenet (2.0.17)

e.nvidia.nv50hal (6.3.6)

e.security.TMSafetyNet (6)

e.security.quarantine (0)

e.security.sandbox (1)

etheanworld.iokit.IOACTIV (5.4)

System services loaded

com.adobe.fpsaud

com.apple.xprotectupdater

com.flipvideo.FlipShareServer.launchd

Agent services loaded

com.adobe.ARM.UUID

com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist

com.apple.mrt.uiagent

com.flipvideo.FlipShareAutoRun

com.google.keystone.user.agent

com.promethean.activmgr

net.culater.SIMBL.Agent

org.x.startx

Safari extensions

iTube Studio

- com.wondershare.safari.itubestudio

Omnibar

- com.genieo.safari

Apr 18, 2015 11:53 AM in response to portugirl

A

Uninstall "SIMBL" or "EasySIMBL" as follows. Back up all data before making any changes.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return. A folder will open. From that folder, delete the items listed below (some may be absent.) You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Application Support/SIMBL

InputManagers/SIMBL

LaunchAgents/net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist

LaunchAgents/net.infinite-labs.SIMBLEnablerForSandboxedApps.plist

ScriptingAdditions/EasySIMBL.osax

ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

Log out and log back in. There may also be an item named "EasySIMBL" in the Applications folder. Delete it, if so.

Make sure you never reinstall any variant of SIMBL. It’s likely to come bundled with another third-party system modfication that depends on it. If you want trouble-free computing, avoid software that makes miraculous changes to other software, especially built-in applications. The only real exception to that rule is Safari extensions, which are mostly safe, and are easy to get rid of when they don’t work. SIMBL and its dependents are not Safari extensions.

B

After removing SIMBL and restarting, you should be able to remove the malicious "Omnibar" extension in the Extensions tab of the Safari preferences window.

C

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

D

If you still have problems with performance or stability, remove "ActivInspire."

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

I never install system modifications myself, and except as stated in this comment, I don't know how to uninstall them. You'll have to do your own research to find that information.

Here are some general guidelines to get you started. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickMyMac” (a hypothetical example.) First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickmymac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickMyMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickMyMac.” If not, open “BrickMyMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button. The uninstaller might also be accessed by clicking the Customize button, if there is one.

Back up all data before making any changes.

You will generally have to restart the computer in order to complete an uninstallation. Until you do that, there may be no effect, or unpredictable effects.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase and install OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" such as "AppCleaner" and the like that purport to remove software.

E

You may also need to disconnect the external display or display adapter.

Apr 18, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you so much for taking time to reply.

A - done and dusted. Not all files there, but deleted those that were.

B - Omnibar still not in the Extension folder (but iTubeStudio now appears although the window was empty before)

C - done - scary in safe mode, having never done it before. Restarted again afterwards with no problems.

D - Hoping I don't need to do this as I need the program for work

I've rerun Etrecheck and still have the

iTube Studio

So, how do I go about removing it?

Full report below...

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated 18 April 2015 21:08:21 WEST

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook - model: MacBook6,1

1 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

2 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 970

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software: ℹ️

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Time since boot: 0:10:11

Disk Information: ℹ️

TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF disk0 : (232.89 GB)

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 249.72 GB (16.16 GB free)

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Broadcom Corp Bluetooth Module

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Applications/Tunnelblick.app

[not loaded] net.tunnelblick.tap (1.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] net.tunnelblick.tun (1.0) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.flipvideo.IOUSBCameraMassStorage (1.0.1) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.prometheanworld.iokit.IOACTIV (5.4) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.Lumens.driver.LumensAudioDriver (1.0.0d1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.lumens.driver.DC260MSDC (1.0.0d1) [Click for support]

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[running] com.flipvideo.FlipShare.AutoRun.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.promethean.activmgr.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.flipvideo.FlipShareServer.launchd.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

DirectorShockwave: Version: 11.5.6r606 [Click for support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 [Click for support]

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.2.0 [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.2.6 [Click for support]

Musicnotes: Version: 1.18.8 [Click for support]

NP2020Player: Version: 4.5.2.0 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.09 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.0.61118.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

NP_2020Player_IKEA: Version: 5.0.94.1 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.09 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Scorch: Version: 6.2.0 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

iTube Studio

Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️

DVCPROHDAudio: Version: 1.3.2

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

3ivx MPEG-4 [Click for support]

ACTIVboard [Click for support]

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Perian [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

5% mdworker

3% WindowServer

1% ACTIVhardware

1% WebProcess

1% notifyd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

112 MB WebProcess

30 MB WindowServer

26 MB System Events

24 MB SystemUIServer

21 MB mds

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

132 MB Free RAM

773 MB Active RAM

755 MB Inactive RAM

219 MB Wired RAM

991 MB Page-ins

475 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Apr 18, 2015, 08:45:32 PM Self test - passed

help with removing omnibar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.