Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beginner issues

Hi,

I'm a new user of Logic Pro X, and I have some questions that are really annoying to me. I've been using Reaper for a couple of years, so there are few things I have gotten used to.

1) The locater. Every time I record a track, and afterwards delete it (if the recording wasn't good enough), the locater stays at the point after the recording I just did. In Reaper, the locater automatically went back to where I started the previous recording, and that's really nice (fewer clicks). Is that possible in Logic?

2) When I record bits on the same track - instead of full length (if it's really difficult parts), and afterwards want to trim length of the recording to a precise beat/point (where I have to continue the recording), it's remarkable how hard it is to be precise. I have to zoom in A LOT before it works. It's like the snap-function works like s...!

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:09 AM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Mindfight

Sometimes it is harder to re-learn a similar app than to learn a completely new type of app, because of the expectations and personal workflows that you have established.

Record:

I don't think the mode you describe exists in Logic. RIght-click on the Play Button or Record Buton in the COntrol Bar to select different behaviors.

The Record/Repeat mode, will automatically start from the previous start point but only during the recording, if you want to restart right away.

Another way is to enable Cycle Mode. This ways, Logic starts recording always at the left Locator. Be careful, however, this also switches the Record Mode from "Overwrite" to "Take Folder".

User uploaded file

Trim

Logic is extremely versatile when it comes to trimming and zooming. You have to learn all the (hidden) features to choose the ones that fit your workflow best.

Here are a few Tips:

• Set the Snap Mode to a value you like (i.e. Smart)
  • Hold down the control key while trimming to disable any Snap Value.
  • Hold down the control and shift key to switch to an extreme fine trimming mode (Ticks)
  • Hold down the option key and the Pointer Tool to switch to the Zoom Tool so you can quickly drag an area to zoom in. Option-click on the background to zoom back to the previous level. (this also works in multiple steps)

There are so many different commands and workflows in Logic (many of them hidden and not listed in the User Guide). I explain all of them in my manuals "Logic Pro X - How it Works" and "Logic Pro X - the Details". These are the only books revised for the current Logic version 10.1 so you don't get confused with outdated commands and explanations based on previous Logic version.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Beginner issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.