Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Data” can’t be found.

Hi,

When I try to access my time capsule on my mac this message comes up: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Data” can’t be found.

I have my files on my time capsule and it is important that I'm able to access them from my mac.

Anyone have a clue on what's going on and how can I fix it?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 9:05 AM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2015 3:30 PM in response to robcol125

If you are running Yosemite.. upgraded to Yosemite.. or used the latest patch weird stuff can happen.

Is the TC available at all in finder.. is it available in the airport utility.. if not I recommend you first of all reboot the whole network..

Restart in the correct order.. modem.. TC.. clients.

Does the disk suddenly appear again.. ??

If you actually have the disk mounted and your files are missing.. that is an issue with permissions.. Yosemite has major permissions issues.. so you need to tell me exactly the setup . .. what OS and what your seeing.

Apr 19, 2015 7:49 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your response. Mac is running Yosemite. Yes,the TC is present in finder and in airport utility.

When I go into the finder and click on my TC , I see my data file but when i click on it to view the contents I get the following error: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Data” can’t be found. This is bugging the **** out of me. Please help me view my contents on my TC.

The TC is on a shared network so the contents can be accessed from my Windows computer as well. I dont know if I can see the contents on Windows as I have not yet tried but the Mac is my main computer and I need to be able to see my files which are present on TC.

Apr 19, 2015 3:59 PM in response to robcol125

Have a try from windows.. it is much less fussy about permissions than the Mac.

Getting file permissions fixed on a network drive is tricky and I am not at all sure how Yosemite managed to mess it up..

If you have any applecare at all, ring apple support and let them talk you through it..

Most of what I have suggested to people to fix it are work arounds.. I am just not sure where the problem comes from but Apple might have some better methods.. not that they reveal publically note.. that would be to confess that yosemite is less than perfect.

The work around is fairly easy if you have a USB drive.. same size as all the content on the TC or larger.. do an archive from the airport utility disk tab.. then you can plug the USB drive directly into your computer.. fix the permissions and access your files.. the problem on the TC as a network drive.. fixing permissions is not actually directly accessible to you.

Apr 20, 2015 3:40 PM in response to robcol125

Get a USB drive of 2TB or more.. assuming your TC is 2TB. Either preformatted Mac or plug into your Mac and format it standard Mac OS Extended Journaled in disk utility.

Do a full archive of the TC. You do this using airport utility. Do not click the erase disk.. I marked in green.. just the archive.. that is to backup the internal disk to the USB disk. It is not fast.. take it that the process will go at around 40-50GB/hr.

User uploaded file

Once you complete the archive .. it is a direct image of the data on your TC.. you can then plug it into your computer directly.. and then try and open the files you lost.. if you cannot open them.. open disk utility and fix the permissions.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/13/repair-disk-permissions-mac-os-x/

Or try the methods apple recommends..

OS X Yosemite: Set permissions for items on your Mac

It is possible to fix things on the USB drive because it is locally mounted.. but you cannot fix it on TC which is network drive.

Jun 14, 2015 1:58 AM in response to LaPastenague

thank you so much,I will give it a go for sure.

Does fixing the permissions solve the problem on my TC.Archiving my disk to my external hard drive will create a copy of my Tc on my hard drive. If I can't access my files ,there is a problem,so I fix the permissions. Does this fix the permissions on my external drive or my TC. I want to be able to access my TC whenever I want and this error is bugging me.

I tried on my windows computer,everything works fine.No problems.The problem is on my mac.So will this way help fix it?

Jun 14, 2015 2:21 AM in response to robcol125

Hi..

It fixes permissions on the external drive which is plugged into your computer.. you can then wipe the TC and copy the file back if you want.

Once you get the files and create the directory the permissions will be fixed.

I tried on my windows computer,everything works fine.No problems.

That is correct.. windows ignores permissions..

But Windows also has no way to save all the hard links.. so you do end up with a bit of a mess.. however your files are not lost if windows can open them.. it is simply the stupid permissions issues..

There is probably a method to fix the permissions from the terminal.. but it is so dangerous to use.. I would prefer if the files have any value to you that you back them up before you start messing around.

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Data” can’t be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.