Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark spot/Artifact in camera app and photos?

Hi Folks,

I noticed this spot that shows up in my camera app and in pictures taken with a light background. I attached a sample pic.

I checked the lens and it's clean. I also cleaned it again and it doesn't make a difference. I don't remember this prior to iOS 8.3, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there before. Maybe I just never noticed it?

Has anyone had this issue? Could it be software related or is it simply hardware related? Maybe dust? Any help or thoughts would be appeciated.User uploaded file

I'm still under warranty. Everything else is perfect with the phone.

Thanks!

iPhone 6 Plus

iOS 8.3

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 9:44 AM

It could be a dead or burnt pixel which can be quite common in digital photography.

I would suggest you make an appointment with a Genius Bar & have them look at it.

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 9:47 AM in response to jazcan

jazcan wrote:

It could be a dead or burnt pixel which can be quite common in digital photography.

I would suggest you make an appointment with a Genius Bar & have them look at it.

Thank you jazcan! I was afraid it might be hardware related. 😟

I don't have an Apple Store near to me. How easy is the ship to Apple in warranty service? Never used it before.

Apr 18, 2015 10:02 AM in response to 2012FitFan

I have not had to use their warranty service but you could start by reporting it here: https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

I think they have a pretty quick turnaround with servicing. You will need to backup your iPhone because your device will be wiped/replaced. You can restore from backup once you get your repaired/new iPhone.

GIve Apple support a call, they may have a fix or be able to rule out any other cause & that is is actually a hardware issue & not software related.

Good Luck!

Apr 18, 2015 11:41 AM in response to jazcan

jazcan wrote:

I have not had to use their warranty service but you could start by reporting it here: https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

I think they have a pretty quick turnaround with servicing. You will need to backup your iPhone because your device will be wiped/replaced. You can restore from backup once you get your repaired/new iPhone.

GIve Apple support a call, they may have a fix or be able to rule out any other cause & that is is actually a hardware issue & not software related.

Good Luck!

Thanks again, jazcan! 🙂

I contacted Apple support and they set up a return for service. It was very simple. Like you said, it appears to be hardware related.

What I thought was cool, they are able to diagnose your phone remotely. It even tells them whether it's been wet or dropped. That is unreal and very cool! My phone is pristine shape, so it passed just fine. I'll be without a phone for a few days, but it will be well worth it.

After I receive the phone, I'll update the thread.

Dark spot/Artifact in camera app and photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.