Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac and PC with static IP connected to Airport Extreme ?

I have an airport extreme with a MacPro and PC (win 8.1) connected via ethernet. I'm using a few sharing applications that requires static IP between all parties involved, in my case, my Mac Pro and PC. Is it possible to have my Mac and PC set up with static IP for private sharing AND still have access to the internet ? Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:44 AM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for the link, what i needed.

Just for my own education...

1- Is there any latency added when computers are communicating to each other, in my case a Mac and PC, via the airport extreme ?

2- I tried just connecting an ethernet cable directly between my Mac and PC and set up static IP on both but for some reason it does not work, but it works fine via the router, could this be because direct connection requires a crossover ethernet cable ?

3- can you recommend an easy book or resources so i can learn more about basic networking ??

Thanks again

Apr 18, 2015 1:52 PM in response to anhtu

I would have thought that you would have needed a crossover cable - but though Macs can be connected this way I don't know whether you can do it with a PC. I've had no experience of adding a PC to a network, but as you've evidently managed it through the router it sounds as if you've got through all the basics anyway. Google is probably the best place to look for further information.

Apr 18, 2015 4:01 PM in response to anhtu

2- I tried just connecting an ethernet cable directly between my Mac and PC and set up static IP on both but for some reason it does not work, but it works fine via the router, could this be because direct connection requires a crossover ethernet cable ?

How old is the PC and does it use gigabit.. with gigabit you do not need crossover cables.

However the two computers can get confused about negotiated speeds.. so set exact speed on each computer.

Set both to gigabit. Full duplex and see how that goes.. assuming a good quality it cable it should work.

If the max speed of the PC is 100mbit then reduce the speed in the Mac to the same.

If you do this kind of setup you also need to set static IP in the correct range .. but you need to NOT set gateway and DNS in the PC.. in the Mac on the other hand I have found they tend to like the gateway and DNS set.. but you use the same one as the airport extreme uses.

1- Is there any latency added when computers are communicating to each other, in my case a Mac and PC, via the airport extreme ?

No, the latency on ethernet networks is tiny.. and transfer speeds on gigabit are identical .. using the router is much easier than messing about with direct cable connections.

Mac and PC with static IP connected to Airport Extreme ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.