Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library not uploading to iCloud

I just bought the 200 GB storage to iCloud. My new Photos library is only uploading some of the photos. My settings is set to iCloud Photo Library to upload the entire libraries. I know this takes time, but I started it yesterday and it isn't progressing at all. My iPhone will only show my most recent photos from this year - nothing else. I've tried uploading photos and videos made from a GoPro camera stored on a WD MyPassport hard drive, and it says it can only upload files that can be uploaded to iMovie - they can and I'd already done that. This new "system" is not user friendly. The iCloud doesn't allow you to do anything - the whole purpose was to share these pi

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:24 AM

The upload is slow. You don't say how large your photos library is, but here is my experience so far: I have a ~50 GB photo library that has been uploading for over a week. It's probably about 45% done uploading. My ISP says I should be able to get 864 kbps upload speed, but my library is uploading at about 140 kbps, a fraction of what it should be. Many people are seeing this same behavior, and there are various conjectures as to why. Someone needs to ask Apple about this.

Meanwhile, here is what you can to do to assure yourself that the upload is progressing. In the Preferences pane of the Photos App, you can monitor how many pix are left to go. This number changes in batches, and so checking on it periodically should show a decreasing number. The other thing I am doing is monitoring the outgoing network traffic speed. You can do this in the Activity Monitor by selecting he Network tab and looking at the table at the bottom, which shows statistics on your network use. The date sent/sec in the lower right box is a number to pay attention to. Compare this with what your ISP says you should be able to do on upload.

Finally, log into your iCloud account with your favorite browser and take a look at the photos that are there. As things progress, you should see more of them showing up there. They apparently don't get uploaded in any particular order, so there will be gaps in some of the dates, in all probability.

Let me know how it goes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 11:24 AM in response to jtp49

The upload is slow. You don't say how large your photos library is, but here is my experience so far: I have a ~50 GB photo library that has been uploading for over a week. It's probably about 45% done uploading. My ISP says I should be able to get 864 kbps upload speed, but my library is uploading at about 140 kbps, a fraction of what it should be. Many people are seeing this same behavior, and there are various conjectures as to why. Someone needs to ask Apple about this.

Meanwhile, here is what you can to do to assure yourself that the upload is progressing. In the Preferences pane of the Photos App, you can monitor how many pix are left to go. This number changes in batches, and so checking on it periodically should show a decreasing number. The other thing I am doing is monitoring the outgoing network traffic speed. You can do this in the Activity Monitor by selecting he Network tab and looking at the table at the bottom, which shows statistics on your network use. The date sent/sec in the lower right box is a number to pay attention to. Compare this with what your ISP says you should be able to do on upload.

Finally, log into your iCloud account with your favorite browser and take a look at the photos that are there. As things progress, you should see more of them showing up there. They apparently don't get uploaded in any particular order, so there will be gaps in some of the dates, in all probability.

Let me know how it goes.

Apr 19, 2015 3:07 AM in response to kimhelliwell

Thanks for responding. Nothing was happening yesterday, but when I checked this morning, I got an error message saying it quit for some reason and to send the info to apple. I did and then tried again. I got a completely different window starting the process and am now uploading files at the rate of 593.4 MB. Everything was going wrong yesterday. I think it even affected my iPhone as I have it connected to my wi-fi and it continually dropped calls and I couldn't make out going calls. Hopefully, it's working now. I did get an additional "day" of pics on my phone. Now I have most of April 2015, but that's all. Thanks again.

Photo Library not uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.