Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use Peer to Peer AirPlay

Hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm trying to use my Apple TV in a hotel with really bad wifi and it also has a security portal you have to enter your room details into that the Apple TV doesn't prompt. I read about using Bluetooth with Peer to Peer AirPlay which would be ideal but can't seem to get it to work.

My Apple TV is a A1469 model with 7.2 (7512) installed.

I'm trying to use my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3 (and I've tried my iPad Mini with iOS 8.3) to connect via AirPlay but the only option I get with AirPlay is sound from the iPhone/iPad. I don't seem to have the option to connect to Apple TV link I would when on wifi.

User uploaded file

I've read through a lot of the feeds about Peer to Peer AirPlay but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

My Bluetooth and AirPlay is on, on my Apple TV (otherwise the device wouldn't be able to give me the AirPlay option).

Has anyone experienced this and been able to figure it out?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, Peer to Peer AirPlay

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 9:50 AM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Brook724

Thanks Brook724 but the whole purpose of Peer to Peer AirPlay is to be able to use just Bluetooth.

If you turn off the wifi and turn on Bluetooth on the Apple TV and iOS device you will be able to see the AirPlay option.

To answer your question those I have tried a variety of combinations. I've tried having wifi and Bluetooth on and just Bluetooth on both devices. The AirPlay option is there but the Apple TV option is missing like in the pictures I've posted above.

Apr 18, 2015 8:03 PM in response to indieboy

No, it only uses Bluetooth for discovery. The actual data connection is via wifi. You don't need to be connected to a wifi network (obviously), but you must have wifi turned on. Also, sometimes it takes a moment for the iOS device to discover the Apple TV and show it in the AirPlay menu.

When this first became available I wanted to test it. So I turned off my wifi in order to disconnect from my home network. Well guess what...P2P AirPlay wouldn't work. After a few minutes of screwing around, I realized that by disabling my wifi radio entirely, AirPlay wouldn't be able to function. Duh. So I turned wifi back on and manually disconnected from my network. My Apple TV showed up and AirPlay worked great.

May 11, 2015 6:29 PM in response to indieboy

Hello, did You ever figure out the issue? . I am having this same exact problem with not being able connect a peer to peer with iOS 8.3 fron iPad/iPhone, without connecting to a wifi network as I could before the update. Extremely frustrating since I recommended Apple TV to businesses and friends because of the this peer to peer feature. It definitely seems to be an Apple software update iOS 8.3 issue that no one has caught on to At this time.

Unable to use Peer to Peer AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.