Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I preview a ".toast" file without actually burning a Blu-ray disc

How can I preview a ".toast" Blu-ray file without actually burning a Blu-ray disc.

I ask this because sometimes mistakes are made and I am wasting Blu-ray discs. When I use iDVD to make DVDs I can test the file using Apple's DVD player. I'm after a similar mechanism I can use with ".toast" Blu-ray files.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:37 PM

Use the preloaded DiskImageMounter to open them, and then try playing the media with VLC.

(126269)

15 replies

Apr 18, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Niel

Use the preloaded DiskImageMounter to open them, and then try playing the media with VLC.

That did help somewhat. Strangely when I search my computer for "DiskImageMounter" I get nothing. However, when I right-click on the ".toast" file it's right there as an option.

When I use VLC to test the ".toast" file the movie simply begins from the beginning, (no chapter menus). I was hoping to be able to simulate a Blu-ray player in a similar manner that I am able to do with an image file created by iDVD and using the Apple DVD player.

This process allows me to test the operation of the DVD menu system without actually having to burn a disc. Once the simulation is successful then I proceed and burn discs. I'm looking for a way to do this with Blu-ray ".toast" files.

Apr 18, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Try Google.

For moral and security reasons I use other, better search engines.

You can probably find a software Blu-ray player for the Mac.

Prior to posting I tried two, "Aurora" and "BDMV Player". Both of these programs simply start the movie from the beginning with no chapter menus. If I take the same file and actually burn a Blu-ray disc using either Toast 12.1, or Apple's Disk Utilities the chapter menus are there.

I am trying to test the chapter menu system without having to actually burn Blu-ray disks, (I dislike filling the landfill with my failures). As you are aware, I can use iDVD to create a DVD Image File and FULLY test it with Apple's DVD player. Once perfection is achieved, I then use Disk Utilities to burn DVDs.

I'm pursuing a similar workflow with Blu-rays in order to reduce waste. Perhaps what I'm trying to do is not possible with Macintosh, (these tools exist for Windows), but I like to work on Macs, if I can.

Apr 18, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Try this

http://www.macblurayplayer.com

I did as you suggested. It is virtually an identical program to "Aurora". In fact, it may be the very same program. When I play the BDMV file the movie simply starts from the beginning.

Just for the fun of it, I put an actual Blu-ray movie into my Mac's Blu-ray drive. Again, the movie simply started with no menu system. However, this time I could go to the "controls" of "MacBlurayplayer" and a very crude system allowed me to select the various chapters. This crude option does not exist when playing the file that created that same Blu-ray disc.

As you know, when you play an iDVD image file with Apple's DVD player you get exactly the same layout and responses you get with a physical disk.

Oh well, it's back to Amazon to purchase more blank Blu-rays.

Apr 18, 2015 6:00 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

Just for the fun of it, I put an actual Blu-ray movie into my Mac's Blu-ray drive. Again, the movie simply started with no menu system. However, this time I could go to the "controls" of "MacBlurayplayer" and a very crude system allowed me to select the various chapters. This crude option does not exist when playing the file that created that same Blu-ray disc.

Are you Chapter Markers entered correctly?

I just finished one and can get this on mine:

User uploaded file

Hit Command-P to call up the Navigation panel to get this:

User uploaded file

I cannot get the actual Marker names to appear but the Chapter Markers work fine, good enough to know you can go ahead and burn.

Al

Apr 18, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Alchroma

What you are describing above is just what I got.

good enough to know you can go ahead and burn.

I can't agree with that. I'm starting to think I was spoiled with iDVD and with Apple's DVD player. When I create an image file with iDVD I can use Apple's DVD player and get an exact, duplication of exactly what happens with a DVD in a DVD player.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is simply not possible with Blu-rays on the Macintosh. It is, what it is. Good quality blank Blu-rays cost about a dollar each, and they are time-consuming to burn.

Apr 18, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

… Blu-rays cost about a dollar each, and they are time-consuming to burn.

back in the days, I burned disks, I used DVD-rw media for testing.

= re-writeable media, you can use several times ...

What I found now, reading this thread:

There is Blu-ray-re media avail, e.g. at amazon ...

Just overflew the discription, but it seems to me, what -rw is with DVD, is -re for BluRays...

No idea, if you need special drives for that, no hands-on experience, meant as a suggestion...

Apr 18, 2015 10:15 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

What you are describing above is just what I got.

good enough to know you can go ahead and burn.

I can't agree with that. I'm starting to think I was spoiled with iDVD and with Apple's DVD player. When I create an image file with iDVD I can use Apple's DVD player and get an exact, duplication of exactly what happens with a DVD in a DVD player.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is simply not possible with Blu-rays on the Macintosh. It is, what it is. Good quality blank Blu-rays cost about a dollar each, and they are time-consuming to burn.

I agree that iDVD/DVD Studio Pro is lights years ahead of our current DVD/Bluray offerings from Apple for customising etc..

Fact is Apple considers discs as pre-historic which is bad news for Disc guys like myself. 😟

You could trial the Adobe camp if you wish to spend $$$.

Al

Apr 20, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Alchroma

Fact is Apple considers discs as pre-historic

In 2014, about 700 million DVD and Blu-ray movies were sold.

I agree that iDVD/DVD Studio Pro is lights years ahead of our current DVD/Bluray offerings from Apple for customising etc..

I guess it's true. As I talk to people about my desire to burn Blu-rays with menus they all tell me I have to do it with Windows.

You could trial the Adobe camp if you wish to spend $$$.

From what I have read, their menu creation capabilities are about the same as Toast 12 (I am using that now). Moreover, Adobe now "rents" their software which I do not like at all.

Ideas?

Apr 24, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Ziatron

I have Toast 10 and for Blu-ray discs I use BD- RE discs first to test.( as mentioned by Karsten above )

I prefer this method as I can test fully on an actual Blu-ray player / High Def TV, and test the chapter markers that were set .

Once tested I copy the BDMV folder from the BD- RE disc to the desk-top and then burn this BDMV onto a BD- R disc.

User uploaded file

By using the BDMV folder you are using what has already been tested and the burn does not re-encode , so is much faster than the first burn.

It is almost the same process as burning a disk image.

How can I preview a ".toast" file without actually burning a Blu-ray disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.