Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie miniDV

I understand iMovie 10 (current 2015 version) works well with miniDV in the sense that projects do not throw away fields which is my understanding that iMovie 9 did. I also understand that iMovie 9 captured miniDV well (and only upon editing was quality lost). I have a Sony TRV18 (miniDV tape) and a lot of old tapes that I want to import, but iMovie 10 does not seem to recognize the camcorder and it's not listed among supported camcorders. So does anyone know if I can import into iMovie 9, and then update all events to iMovie 10 and then edit and produce projects in iMovie 10 without losing quality?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 9:59 AM

1 reply

Apr 21, 2015 9:47 AM in response to anderskam

Hello there anderskam,

It sounds to me like you are trying to import your miniDV footage into iMovie but it is not being recognized. I would verify that you have set your camera to the correct mode when you have it connected to your computer, as that is a common lynch pin that some people miss. Use the following article to verify that:

iMovie (2013): Import from tape-based cameras

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

iMovie miniDV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.