Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite App Store stuck checking for updates

Hi

I have had a repair carried out on my 2011 27" Core I7 3.4ghz iMac. Having been without it for a month there are a few Yosemite updates as well as an iTunes Update.

Having switched on the iMac, I managed to download Yosemite 10.10.2 which installed correctly.

However, knowing there were further updates I ventured back into the App Store.

I now have three updates pending:

Itunes 12.1.2

Yosemite 10.10.3

Yosemite recovery update 1.0

For some reason the icon next "checking for updates" continually spins and as such makes the "update" buttons unresponsive. Closing the App Store and restarting it results in all four tabs of the store failing to display properly. The iMac has to be restarted for the App Store to re-open properly but the "checking for updates" issue manifests itself again.

The computer is connected to the internet properly so no issues there.

Is there a way of manually installing this update without using the App store or has anyone experienced this and worked out a solution?

Many Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:40 PM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Dairug

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select

/var/log ▹ appstore.log

from the hierarchical list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the messages from the last installation or update attempt, starting from the time when you initiated it. If you're not sure when that was, click the Clear Display button in the toolbar of the Console window and then try the installation again.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Yosemite App Store stuck checking for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.