Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My internetspeed/wifi range didn't increase with my Time Capsule, is this normal?

Today i bought a Apple Airport Time Capsule 2TB. After installing it, i don't see any improvement on my internetspeed and wifi range. What could i have done wrong?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:00 PM

i don't see any improvement on my internetspeed

Nothing is wrong. No router from any manufacturer can take the Internet speed that it receives from the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and make it go faster. If you need faster Internet speeds, you will need to talk to your ISP about a faster Internet connection plan.

and wifi range.

The WiFi broadcast power of routers is limited by law. Just about every manufacturer is running their routers at the max, so......despite what all the fancy advertising might imply.......you should expect wireless range to be about the same from router to router from different manufacturers.

The possible exception might be a router that has large external or "rabbit ears" type antennas, which would broadcast the signal a bit more efficiently.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 1:00 PM in response to tanawat7

i don't see any improvement on my internetspeed

Nothing is wrong. No router from any manufacturer can take the Internet speed that it receives from the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and make it go faster. If you need faster Internet speeds, you will need to talk to your ISP about a faster Internet connection plan.

and wifi range.

The WiFi broadcast power of routers is limited by law. Just about every manufacturer is running their routers at the max, so......despite what all the fancy advertising might imply.......you should expect wireless range to be about the same from router to router from different manufacturers.

The possible exception might be a router that has large external or "rabbit ears" type antennas, which would broadcast the signal a bit more efficiently.

Apr 18, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Some while back Linksys had a selection of external antennas, different patterns, an omni, figure eight (just like mic patterns) and a 'cardiod' with longer range but narrower pattern which I found really useful in my warehouse, which is very long with a lot of metal in the roof area. I point from the office at the back to the transmitter upfront. It was a 'workaround' but years later it's still 'working around'

Apr 18, 2015 1:02 PM in response to tanawat7

they said it should improve wifi by 3x

You are confusing speed on your local network with speed provided by your Internet provider.

Devices on your network can communicate with the router at much faster speeds than your Internet provider can ever hope to supply.

Think of your local network speed as if it were water moving through a fire hose.....and your Internet connection speed as if it were water moving through a garden hose.

You can connect a garden hose to the fire hose if you have the right adapter (a router), but you won't get any more water out of the fire hose than the garden hose can deliver.

My internetspeed/wifi range didn't increase with my Time Capsule, is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.