Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add to the last row, even if I add a row?

I have a spreadsheet for my business with 3 rows: Credit, Debit, and Total. I want the Total column of each row to take the total from the row above, subtract the debit and add the credit and give me the new number. I currently do this with J7−H8+I8, but if I add a row in between what it becomes is J7-H9+I9 instead of changing to J8-H9+I9. Is there another formula that will make this work or a mode I need to set?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:10 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2015 1:39 PM in response to BGReese

Hi Bret,

I agree. Add Row Above or Add Row Below gives a blank row with no formula.

Try this: a table with two Header Rows. Header Row 2 is there to hold the Start Total (Opening Balance which I set to zero as an example).

Now every Body Row contains the same formula:

User uploaded file

Insert a new row and it is blank (no formula) as you found:

User uploaded file

Select D3 and Copy.

Double click on the D label to select all Body Cells in D.

Paste to fill the formula into all Body Cells of Column D.

Enter your Credit and Debit into the new Row 5

User uploaded file

Please call back if that does not work for you.

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 19, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Yellowbox

Unfortunately that isn't much better then what I was already doing. I was hoping there was a function that I didn't know that simply referenced the row above and not a specific cell that might allow me to expand without the manual edits. It seems as though there isn't anything like that. Thanks for the advice though, that is a little smoother then what I was doing already.

Apr 19, 2015 6:51 PM in response to BGReese

if you "Add Row Above" what is currently row 3, the new row 3 will not have any formulas in it and the row 4 formula will become =D2+B4-C4.

How about this approach?

User uploaded file

The formula in D2, copied down the column:

=SUM(B$2:B2)−SUM(C$2:C2)

Then, if you Add Row Above row 5, the formula appears automatically in the new row.

SG

Add to the last row, even if I add a row?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.