Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long should it take to upload 50Gb of photos into iCloud ?

I've been watching my photo library slowly uploading into iCloud via the new 'photos' app but it is taking forever. The upload is taking approx 2 photos per hour. At this rate it will take months. Am I doing something wrong ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:12 AM

13 replies

Apr 18, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Qatarmaggs

No. Wi-Fi is slow. If you are using an 802.11 n capable network you can upload files as fast as your ISP permits. For example, if your upload limit is 512 Kb/s - 64 KB/s or around 228 MB/hr. That means it will take around 4 hours for 1 GB. So, 50 GBs may take around 200 hours - nearly 10 days. That is theoretical. It can take much longer in reality. The faster your ISPs upload rate is the less time it will take.

Apr 18, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

Assuming you use the full speed continuously (unlikely) around 25 days (and nights).

What % overhead are you using

I just made a simple calculation from the given speed to the 50GB. Obviously in practice it's going to be a lot longer than that. (Actually in practice it's unlikely to work at all, at least as a single upload).

Apr 18, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

In practice the encoding allows for 8 bits of data in every 10, this would be excluding any other bits to indicate end of file etc. 20% is a minimum for most types of file transfer over the internet.

It really doesn't matter that much though, sub 5Mb/s connections and Gigabytes of files will make for a long long upload. I just wish more users were aware of that.

How long should it take to upload 50Gb of photos into iCloud ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.