Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If someone steals my iPhone and deletes all pictures, that will sync to my Mac. So then all my photos are lost! How do I safeguard against this?j

If someone steals my iPhone and deletes all pictures, that will sync to my Mac. So then all my photos are lost! How do I safeguard against this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:01 PM

If your phone (plus syncing) is the only place you keep your pictures you are asking for trouble, theft or not. Back up onto an external hard disk which is only mounted when you need it, then nothing external can erase them. Then make use of Apple's facilities for protecting your phone:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

iCloud: Use Lost Mode

iCloud: Find My iPhone overview

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:01 PM in response to andrewwalker100

If your phone (plus syncing) is the only place you keep your pictures you are asking for trouble, theft or not. Back up onto an external hard disk which is only mounted when you need it, then nothing external can erase them. Then make use of Apple's facilities for protecting your phone:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

iCloud: Use Lost Mode

iCloud: Find My iPhone overview

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Apr 19, 2015 1:09 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to not have to store photos and videos locally any more as I am rapidly running out of storage on my Mac, but like you say that is still the only way to be certain of safeguarding them.

Also - if I were to lose my iPhone - if I then changed my Apple ID password as soon as possible, would that prevent any actions someone took on the stolen phone (e.g. deleting photo library) from syncing to Photos on my Mac and my iCloud Library - presumably it would as the password that is in the iPhone would no longer be valid? Am I understanding it correctly? Thanks again.

Apr 19, 2015 1:14 AM in response to andrewwalker100

Yes, you should change the password in that event. That prevents the phone from accessing any iCloud services.

And you should back up your photos - indeed all your data - on to an external hard disk, not your Mac's internal disk (which might fail at some point). Not backing up will eventually lead to data loss. Time Machine is a good place to start, and it's worth making a clone as well. Backing up is like your house or car insurance - it doesn't seem necessary until it suddenly is.

If someone steals my iPhone and deletes all pictures, that will sync to my Mac. So then all my photos are lost! How do I safeguard against this?j

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.