Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find out how much space iMovie content is taking up on my iMac?

My hard drive is almost full. I have begun deleting photos, but I think my videos are taking up the majority of the space on my iMac's hard drive. How can I find out exactly how much space my videos are taking up?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2015 12:17 PM

, About This Mac, then click on the Storage tab at the top to see a simple graphic display, with detailed numbers below.

User uploaded file

(This example is from a new Mac with very little installed.)

5 replies

May 12, 2015 9:14 AM in response to epeacock1

Hi! I have a further question that I'm hoping somebody can help with. My hard drive is showing 264 GB which is a ton more than my movies (88GB) and photos (76 GB). I have even less movies and audio. I don't save a lot of documents on my computer. I mostly use it for videos and photos of my kids. Anybody know how I can see what this 264 GB is made up of? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!

May 12, 2015 11:42 AM in response to epeacock1

Some hard drive space gets lost to formatting the drive platters.

The OS uses up space.

If you haven't emptied the Trash icon in the OS X Dock, then anything in there is still eating up space on the hard drive because you haven't emptied the trash to remove/erase that data.

Applications you install eat up hard drive space.

If you use Apple Mail a lot, then you can amass a pretty good amount of data in emails, especially if you save emails over a long period of time.

If you have any other things like if you use iTunes and have a massive amount of audio data,then that eats up hard drive space.

Also, the Movies portion of that readout is about both any purchased, commercial movies, as well as any "finished" or "finalized" movies you have created with iMovie or Final Cut.

If you kept all your original iMovie file data, then ALL of that gets saved in iMovie project folders that take up additional hard drive space and, also, under the Others category.

It is not really all that hard to figure out, Anything data you create, download, install, saved to a computer's hard drive is going to use up valuable hard drive space.

iTunes, iPhoto, and, in your case, iMovie or Final Cut can eat up large amounts of hard drive storage space.

Do a web search for, download and install OmniDiskSweeper.

http://www.omnigroup.com/more

This app can tell you what and where data is being taken up on your Mac's hard drive.

How can I find out how much space iMovie content is taking up on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.