Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iVPN starts, but "the pptp-vpn server did not respond. Try reconnecting."

Hi. I am new to VPN, and I just got the software iVPN from Macserve, and the server starts successfully, using either PPTP or L2TP:

User uploaded file

But the connections from my network do not connect. Every time I click on "connect" for either network connection, I get the error "the pptp-vpn server did not respond. Try reconnecting."

User uploaded file

I set up both connections in my Network Preferences according to the support page (http://macserve.org.uk/support/ivpn/):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

My Airport Express configurations have never given me any problems with my home network:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And I think that I forwarded the ports properly (even though my firewall is not activated):

User uploaded file

What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 17 inch

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:50 AM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2015 4:44 PM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

The Apple routers can be a problem on vpn passthrough.

Ports that are required for vpn are more complicated ..

See earlier post.. eg How do I set up L2TP VPN?

Ports for PPTP which you have opened manually.. are not valid for L2TP.. so you need several more ports opened.

The problematic ones are GRE and ESP which are protocols not ports.

I think you can pretty well assume the apple router running anything that has BTMM in it won't work.. since it will need the port 500 for itself.

On the old express try going back to 7.6.1 firmware.. I have to say I don't use the express.. lots of extreme and TC.. so their firmware issues are slightly different so firmware versions for the express are somewhat different.

Try not to use both port forwards (mapping if you must).. and DMZ.. they can fight each other.. if DMZ doesn't work it is better to turn it right off and forward all the required ports.

Let me recommend a test.

Plug your cable modem directly into the computer running the VPN.. so you have no NAT router in front of it.

Pay attention to the local firewall that apple runs and what ports you will need to open on it to get vpn to work.. this is your best chance to get remote vpn running. If you fail with the public IP on the computer it will certainly fail through NAT.. and generally local firewall will be an issue.

You should of course test that a client in the local lan can connect by the vpn.. it is always worth testing from the easiest configuration to the most complex.

So local lan just as you have now..

Then direct cable connection to the computer.

Then NAT router.. but you can pretty well assume apple routers are going to be problematic because apple want to dally at BTMM using same ports as IPSEC uses for L2TP.

My email is live.. roll your mouse over it and talk to me direct..

Apr 20, 2015 3:19 PM in response to SkippyTheWonderLizard

You need a router.. but you need a router that does vpn correctly.. even if it is just passthrough.

However for your setup.. I would always recommend using vpn router.

It is much simpler to setup without the hassles of incoming connections through a NAT router.

Running clients on the LAN side of NAT is no problem.. running servers is a big problem. A VPN router can place the connection on the WAN side so internal port forwarding is not required.. and then incoming connections are linked to the whole network instead of a single computer.

It is not expensive these days.. you can buy small business type VPN routers for <$200.. and if you are prepared to flash a router to third party <$60.

Anyway do the direct cable connection to the computer and see if that works.. that will prove the express is not correctly handling VPN.

iVPN starts, but "the pptp-vpn server did not respond. Try reconnecting."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.