Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Garage Band can't record high-pitched instruments

Ever since I updated to the new GarageBand it's been useless. I play the fife and flute, both high pitched instruments. In the old Garage Band, I could select "female vocals" and it would dampen the sound and make it more-or-less ok to listen to. In the new garage band, there isn't that option. When I try to record something, it's off the charts. The visual record bar comes out as a solid-block rectangle because the sound completely overwhelms the microphone. I want my old Garage Band back! What can I do in new Garage Band to be able to record my high-pitched instruments again so they don't sound like complete fuzz? I'm using GB 10.0.3 and I don't even see those band instrument options anymore like there used to be on the old GB.

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:44 AM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 12:02 PM in response to léonie

No, I never uninstalled it, however I did get a new SSD harddrive. Every time I tried to re-download the legacy GarageBand from my Apps purchases, it would load for about half an hour and then I'd get an error message. So that's why I threw in the towel and purchased the new one. However, the new one seems impossible to use! There has GOT to be a way to record high-pitched instruments. They just make it impossible.

Apr 18, 2015 4:30 PM in response to lovelycrimsonred

lovelycrimsonred wrote:

When I try to record something, it's off the charts. The visual record bar comes out as a solid-block rectangle because the sound completely overwhelms the microphone.

this does not appear to be a pitch problem, this seems like a volume/loudness issue.

you'll need to turn down the input gain on whatever equipment you are using (interface, USB mic, built-in mic, etc)

New Garage Band can't record high-pitched instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.