Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zoom control is covering the end of song marker

Using the newest Garageband today and have run into one of the most frustrating UI bugs I've ever encountered and can figure out no way around it. The completely pointless floating zoom control is actually covering the end-of-song marker in such as way that I can't actually click on it. I have a half-hour worth of extra space at the end of my recording but can't get rid of it because I can't grab the marker.

Anyone else have a workaround for this? Any way to set the end of song without grabbing that? This is incredibly frustrating.

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 12:13 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Rick Anderson

So I thought I'd export my podcast to disk and just trim off the half-hour of extra time at the end in iTunes but no... Garageband now limits the size of the export.

This is, without a doubt, the single most frustrating experience I've ever had with an Apple product. If anyone can advise me on what to do here, I'd really appreciate it. I've tried a few workarounds I've found online and none of them work. Why on earth would Apple impose arbitrary limits on the size of a mixdown? Older versions of GB handled this without a hitch. I don't understand why this was done.

Alternately, does Apple have a legitimate place to download older versions of GB? I really need to dump this train wreck of an application and get back to something that actually works.

Apr 18, 2015 4:27 PM in response to Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson wrote:

Guess it's DIY around here.

this is a user-to-user support forum, there is no official Apple support presence here.

Rick Anderson wrote:

I managed to find this:

GarageBand 6.0.5

i'm afraid that's not going to help you, that's an update for GBv6, you need to already have an older version of GB6 installed for that to install anything.

as to your original problem, it is amazing that in all this time this UI mistake hasn't been fixed, but it is possible to grab the EoS marker, you just have to carefully move the mouse pointer just above the zoom box:

User uploaded file

Apr 18, 2015 4:35 PM in response to HangTime

That's the symbol for the region. I can get that to come up but I'm never able to grab the actual marker.

Thank you for your help, BTW. Don't mean to sound ungrateful. It's just that I produce a podcast and after this upgrade, I'm unable to actually produce a finished product after having put in almost an hour's worth of work.

After some searching around the Web, I discovered that I could re-download GB 6 from the App Store where I had previously purchased it by going to the "purchases" tab. Wasn't aware that was possible so I have the 6.0 installer in hand. I should be good to go now but I'm still appalled at how absolutely broken GB 10 is. There's simply no excuse for that kind of shoddy work, especially from Apple.

Zoom control is covering the end of song marker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.