Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 instant battery drop

Hey folks,

iam using my iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi since january (bought in 01/2015). When using my iPad I notice heavy battery drops. The battery seems to drain normal and slowly for the first 50% of battery capacity and then jumps to ~20% and shuts down within a few minutes. 😢

When charging, the first 50% are loaded within minutes, too. The remaining 50% to 100% require a lot longer time to charge.

I've updated iOS.

I've done complete resets to make sure that no software might cause the error.

I've no Apps installed.

I've disabled all background services.

I've done many charge cycles and nearly got mad.

Im reaching a maximum of 3-5 hours using the iPad (no video/gaming).

- I've sent the iPad to AppleCare Service, but they returned my iPad unchanged saying that the error cant be reproduced. 😠😠😠😠😠

Is anyone of you having an advice for me? I will have another phone call with AppleSuppor tomorrow. I don't exspect to much from the call.

What should I do? Go to my lawyer? Stalk the hotline? (EU Region)

Thanks for any help!

iPad Air, iOS 8.3, Battery is faulty

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:13 PM

OK, some things to check:

• Are you using the wall charger that came with your iPad? If not, get yourself a certified Apple charger. Third party cables & chargers can cause all sorts of problems.
  • Have you tried changing the wall outlet that you're charging from?

If Apple tested your iPad & didn't get the same results, then the problem may lie with your power source. If you are using the cable/charger that came with your iPad & tried changing outlets with the same result, then that certainly appears to be a fault with the battery or charging port.

Your results are definitely not typical as you should be getting at least 8 hours under normal usage. You shouldn't have to shut down all services or uninstall your apps, I have an Air 2 with over 300 apps & I get at least 10 hours before needing to recharge unless I am using a memory intensive music app or game.

Let us know what Apple has to say. Their customer service is usually very good & I'm sure they can determine what's causing the issue & get you up & running again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:13 PM in response to JensW312

OK, some things to check:

• Are you using the wall charger that came with your iPad? If not, get yourself a certified Apple charger. Third party cables & chargers can cause all sorts of problems.
  • Have you tried changing the wall outlet that you're charging from?

If Apple tested your iPad & didn't get the same results, then the problem may lie with your power source. If you are using the cable/charger that came with your iPad & tried changing outlets with the same result, then that certainly appears to be a fault with the battery or charging port.

Your results are definitely not typical as you should be getting at least 8 hours under normal usage. You shouldn't have to shut down all services or uninstall your apps, I have an Air 2 with over 300 apps & I get at least 10 hours before needing to recharge unless I am using a memory intensive music app or game.

Let us know what Apple has to say. Their customer service is usually very good & I'm sure they can determine what's causing the issue & get you up & running again.

Apr 18, 2015 3:20 PM in response to JensW312

When you sent it in, do you do so with the cable & charger? It may be that they are the problem. If you know someone who also has an iPad & an Apple Certified charger, try borrowing theirs to see if you get the same results.

DId you purchase the iPad directly from Apple or another seller?

The iPad is still under warranty & as long as it hasn't been jailbroken or suffered accidental damage, you should be able to exchange it at the original point of purchase.

Apr 19, 2015 1:59 AM in response to jazcan

You are not allowed to sent in your device with any accessoires. They only want you to send in your iPad in their special box. In the past I've been using my iPhone6 charger. Sadly with the same result. Still waiting and hoping for their call.

The iPad was bought from a different seller with direct service to apple. Sending it back to the reseller might have the same result, as they send it to apple, too. (with longer delay). Trying this as last option.

With our local laws you can send your device back for only 14 days, as long as it is in its original state.

May 5, 2015 7:28 AM in response to JensW312

Second exchange - no result.

The Second Level agent told me that the support would do an 6-12 hour test, to make the battery drops visible. The time between arrival of my iPad and retoure sending were about 3 hours. Next step is the forced exchange via the second level hotline, again. After 3 1/2 months I soon will have a working device (hope so).

Jun 17, 2015 1:48 PM in response to JensW312

JensW312 wrote:

In the past I've been using my iPhone6 charger. Sadly with the same result.

Here's a tip...do NOT use your iPhone 6 charger to charge the iPad Air 2. The charger that comes with all iPhones is 5 watts. The charger that comes with the iPad Air 2 is 10 watts. You are overworking the iPhone's charger if you are charging an iPad Air 2 with it. It's OK if you use the iPad's 10 watt charger to charge an iPhone but not the the other way around.

Always use the chargers and cables that came with the respective device to charge that particular device.

iPad Air 2 instant battery drop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.