Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use my time capsule on an existing WIFI network?

How do I use my Time Capsule on an existing WIFI network?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:59 PM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:17 PM in response to wilfordpoe

Use an Ethernet cable to connect from one of the LAN <--> ports on your existing wireless router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule and then use the setup "wizard" on your Mac to configure the Time Capsule.

It will suggest that you set up the Time Capsule to create a new wireless network. If you don't want or need another wireless network, you can turn off the wireless function of the Time Capsule and use it as wired hard drive only.

Leave the Ethernet cable connected at all times. If you need to locate the Time Capsule in a different area, you can put it anywhere that the Ethernet cable will reach up to about 330 feet or 100 meters.

The only exception to using an Ethernet cable would be if your existing wireless network is provided by another Apple router. Then.....you would have the option to have the Time Capsule connect using wireless and extend the network, although using a wired connection would still be the better way to go in terms of performance.

How do I use my time capsule on an existing WIFI network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.