Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my picture library in finder different than in IPhoto

i want to drag my picture library in finder to an external drive. But when i compare the pictures in finder it does not have all of the folders i have set up in iphoto

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 1:30 PM

2 replies

Apr 21, 2015 11:55 AM in response to ccfr1234

Hello ccfr1234,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you are seeing different photos in another iPhoto Library on your computer than what you're used to, then you likely have opened another library which is on your computer. To see the iPhoto Libraries stored on your computer, please follow the directions below.

To switch between photo libraries:

1. Quit iPhoto.

2. Hold down the Option key as you open iPhoto.

3. Select the library you want to switch to.

4. Click Choose.

iPhoto '11: Create a new iPhoto library or switch between libraries

Take care,

Alex H.

Apr 21, 2015 3:24 PM in response to ccfr1234

You need to be clear

You state that you have OS X 10.10.3 and you request info on iPhoto - what version of iPhoto? (Are you sure or is it Photos 1.0 you are asking about ?)

But when i compare the pictures in finder it does not have all of the folders i have set up in iphoto

What exactly does this mean? In iPhoto folders can not hold photos, they only hold albums or other folders - and you should not be messing inside the iPhoto (or Photos for that matter) using the finder - there are no user serviceable parts in there and it is easy to damage a library rendering it unusable and losing data and possibly photos

Moving the library for either iPhoto or Photos is as simple as having a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) with a fast wired connection and dragging the library intact as a single entity to it then launching the application while holding the option key down and using the resulting select library window to select the new location

LN

why is my picture library in finder different than in IPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.