Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Yosemite in Startup Disk control panel on dual-boot System

Hey, have the mystery issue. Have MacPro3,1 - four hard drives, 8 partitions and 2 OSes.

Snow Leopard on my main volume, this is the OS I use for day in and day out service - also I can run my old graphics programs under Rosetta with it, so it's staying in use and that is set in stone. Have had this current install up for three years, it's well maintained with proper system scheduling and maintenance.. all is hunky-dory.

Last fall I took the Yosemite beta and installed that on one of the empty partitions on a second drive. It's installed and I just updated to 10.10.3 this afternoon and was dealing with the machine perpetually rebooting to 10.6 when the Yosemite installer finally quit. I want to set the machine so it will boot to Yosemite but in the Startup Disk control pane, the only OS that shows is Snow Leopard.

Thing is, I also have a MacBook Pro5,3 and it's got three OSes and four partitions and I have 10.6.8, 10.8.5 and 10.10.3 and that also has a very strange Startup disk panel, but at least I can bounce back and forth with the boot option correctly set.

I've tried resetting the PRAM to get the Startup Disk to add Yosemite to the list of bootable volumes, but it's stubbornly refusing to.

Is there a terminal command that I can run in Snow Leopard to bless the system folder in Yosemite so it will be visible to Startup Disk?

Thanks!

Deb.

2x2.6Dual-Core MacPro, Radeon HD2600, 3GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.8), The funkiest G4 on earth and a home network that ROCKS! my world

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:23 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Niel

Oh Niel, I know the Option key startup trick.

The problem lies when I boot into Yosemite that way and take an update as I did and on the installer reboot, it goes back to Snow Leopard.

Shortside of me going into Yosemite and using the Startup Disk to set it to 10.10 reboot, I'd just like to get this cleared up as to *why* this has happened, on what has been an otherwise flawless install of the second system.

How does any given OS see another one and why isn't Snow Leopard seeing Yosemite on the MacPro and why is it so screwy on the MacBook Pro?

No Yosemite in Startup Disk control panel on dual-boot System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.