Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad iMessages vs iPhone iMessages

I'm able to send an iMsg from my iPad to one of my contact's iPhone (phone no.) as a regular BLUE iMsg -- Cool & Good. But when I try try to do the same on my iPhone, i.e. send an iMsg from my iPhone to the exact same contact (an iphone number), the iMsg on my iPhone only display as a GREEN msg -- why isn't it BLUE? The iPad recognizes the contact's iPhone number as being "on" (iMsg), but why is the iPhone to iPhone to msg GREEN? The contact's iPhone iMsg must be on -- right? Since the iPad can reach it with a BLUE iMsg....Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 3:54 PM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2015 4:10 PM in response to VTRod

As long as you both have an active data connection & both have an Apple ID, the iMessage should be blue.

Try this on your iPhone:

Settings->Messages->Send as SMS (toggle it OFF)

Now try & send the message.

This doesn't prevent you from sending non-iPhone users SMS messages, it will only prevent you sending SMS to contacts who are registered with iMessage

I had the same issue a while ago, and that fixed it.

Apr 19, 2015 4:59 AM in response to jazcan

Thanks jazcan but your suggestion made no difference. The "Send as SMS" was already in the "Off" on both my iPad Ait II & iPhone 4S. Toggling it didn't change the behavior. What I can deduce is that the iPhone contact I'm trying to reach must have his iMsg function turned-off - since iMsg between my iPhone and is his iPhone is always green. It's when I use my iPad to send an iMsg to his iPhone that the iMsg is Blue -- but despite that attribute, that Blue iMsg doesn't actually reach his iPhone, although it gives every appearance it does my returning the status "Delivered". Very Strange. You would think that since my iPad iMsg to his iPhone is Blue, this indicates that his iMsg function must be turned on -- but apparently it is not. Another interesting anomaly is that his contact info record includes his email. When I send an iMSG from my iPhone to his email address(instead of his iPhone #) the iMsg behavior is Blue and I think those messages are getting thru to his iPhone as if I had sent them to his iPhone phone number. I'm very perplexed. Maybe this is all normal behavior(assuming his iMsg function is indeed turned off) and if so, I'm fine with that -- if not, I'd really like to know what's up. I will have to likely get hold of his phone and check his settings -- he knows very little about iPhone operations -- it could very well be an issue on his end. Again, thanks for your time to respond - much appreciated. Rod

iPad iMessages vs iPhone iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.