Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple logo with progress bar screen keeps popping up after update

I upgraded my iPad (3 gen, wifi) from iOS 5.1 to 8.3 and restored it from the backup two days ago. And since then a progress bar screen with apple logo (as same as the screen when restoring) frequently pops up.

At first I thought it was syncing the stuff from icloud, but later I found that it just happen too much.

Here are the pattern I found about the progress bar screen:

1. it pops up EVERYTIME when (i)unlocking the screen, (ii)switching app store account, (iii)entering the icloud setting page

2. it pops up sometimes when opening applications

3. the progress bar takes about 20-30 seconds to finish, but usually it will repeat for 2-3 more times taking total 1-2 minutes each time it happen.

4. it happens regardless the device is connected to internet or not

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 5:01 PM

9 replies

Apr 22, 2015 12:14 AM in response to Als1ke

I found a thread that might hopefully do a little help:Random Black/White Logo Screens Interfering With Everything

So I tried to wipe out everything again and restore my iPad with just icloud backup to see if it was the itunes backup's problem,

but another problem came up:

the icloud storage shows only 1GB space total (supposedly 5GB) when my backup takes 4GB, so it tells me "an additional 3GB is required to back up this iPad." WT F???

Apr 22, 2015 12:16 AM in response to Als1ke

I’m not the only one with this problem.

It looks to me that the Ipad thinks that there is something that still needs to be upgraded hence the “slide to upgrade” when turning on. What I have no idea. Once the series of apple upgrade screens go away the ipad seems to work ok

I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of this with no success.

Still very annoying indeed.

Apr 22, 2015 3:22 PM in response to tallsurreyboy

I used the DFU mode/"Erase All Content and Settings" to reset my iPad as new then restored it with the itunes backup I prepared before updating.

Since after I reset my device as new the problem was not there, I believe the problem has something to do with the itunes backup from old iOS; or iOS8.3 mistaking the backups from old iOS.

Anyway the problem seems only exist after restoring from itunes backups it may be a solution that to restore the device using icloud backup instead of itunes backup.

But I do not know if it will work since the icloud says I do not have "enough space" to backup...

Apr 28, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Als1ke

I chose "Erase All Content and Settings" to reset my iPad as new. It came up fine on ios 8.3.

I then used my itunes backup to restore the ipad and the “error” returned. Yes it is for sure a problem using the itunes backup. I dont have an Icloud backup.

I have again chosen "Erase All Content and Settings" to reset my iPad as new and all is fine. Now thinking on how to get my apps back.

I don’t have much data on my ipad. All my pictures are backed up and i have copy of notes.

May 29, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Als1ke

This has been happening to me for months now. I have followed all of Apple's instructions... I have reset to factory settings and restored backup files... It is continual. Sometimes it loops five or six times, and at other times I can view it for ten minutes before it happens. Its most annoying when watching a video... the audio continues to sound, but the picture is not there due to the apple screen, so I have to back up the video each time the screen goes away. And sometimes the mere act of backing up the vid causes it to pop up again.

The last suggestion from Apple was to drive 2 1/2 hours to San Antonio or 4 hours to Houston to take it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

Debbie

Apple logo with progress bar screen keeps popping up after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.