Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud to store photos I want to delete from my iPhone 5s?

Good day.

I want to free up space on my 16G iPhone 5s. All of my photos are stored on iCloud, however, when I delete a photo from my iPhone 5s, it also deletes in iCloud. Is there a way to use iCloud as a way to store photos that I don't want on my iPhone any longer, but I want to save?

Note: The photos on my iPhone 5s are all on iPhoto on my iMac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. I have not opened the "photos" app which appeared on the doc when the system upgraded to OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 as I'm not sure how this will affect the whole "delete from my iPhone, but keep in iCloud" dilemma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

C. Gray

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 3:35 PM

iCloud isn't designed as a cloud-only storage method. The closest you can get is to change a setting to optimize storage on your iPhone so that a smaller "device-size version" is kept on your phone. See the quote below from iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 3:35 PM in response to cgrayon7

iCloud isn't designed as a cloud-only storage method. The closest you can get is to change a setting to optimize storage on your iPhone so that a smaller "device-size version" is kept on your phone. See the quote below from iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Can I use iCloud Photo Library to save space on my device?

iCloud Photo Library automatically keeps all your photos and videos in the original, high-resolution version. Follow these steps to choose how you store your photos and videos on your device:

• In iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select a storage setting.
  • In OS X, click Photos > Preferences > iCloud, then select a storage setting.

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. All of your original, full-resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud while device-size versions are kept on your device. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photo Library will keep your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device. Download Originals is the default setting for iOS devices with the free 5 GB storage plan and for all Mac devices.

Apr 18, 2015 3:41 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks FoxFifth.

My iPhone 5s is optimized. I just wanted to be able to delete some photos from my iPhone 5s, but keep them safe.

I figure I can still use iPhoto to save all my photos. I did some testing and deleted a couple of photos from my iPhone and they stayed in iPhoto. But, if my iMac is stolen, then the photos i deleted from my iPhone are gone forever, too.

A friend recommended Dropbox as a place to keep my photos safe, if needed.

Do you know if iPhoto will disappear if I use the photos app that came with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3?

Your help was greatly appreciated.

Regards,

C. Gray

Apr 19, 2015 12:53 PM in response to cgrayon7

Hi FoxFifth. I've been playing around with the Photos app on my iMac running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 today. I've taken junk pictures and deleted them from my iPhone 5s and discovered they remain in the Photos app on my iMac but are deleted in iCloud Photos. I think I've finally figured out that as turns out, I don't have a problem. 🙂

Since the Photos app works and saves my pictures the same as iPhoto, I will just back up Photos on my iMac.

Again, thanks for your help and insight.

Regards,

C. Gray

Apr 19, 2015 1:27 PM in response to cgrayon7

Not sure how you are doing that. When I take a photo on my iPhone and delete it, it displays the warning (in light gray print) "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all of your devices." and it does in fact do that. I have taken a photo, verified that it makes it to Photos on my Mac, then deleted it from my iPhone and verified that it was also deleted from Photos on my Mac.

Can I use iCloud to store photos I want to delete from my iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.