Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking images from Windows computer via network.

My aim is to take an image of a Windows system onto an external harddisk connected to my iMac through my network.

To be more specific my iMac is connected to a switch, so is the Windows computer connected to the same switch.

The target drive is a three TeraByte external harddisk connected to my iMac. That drive has been partitioned and one partition of 1TB has been formatted to NTFS by Paragon to receive the image of the Windows computer.

I also created a typical user (call him Trans, a sharing user as seems mandatory since Yosemite) to enable the sharing of that NTFS partition. That user is given Read&Write permission to that partition in Sharing in System Preferences. File sharing options for SMB & AFP are also set to on for that partition.

To my idea everything is set up to go to make an image of the Windows computer, either by pulling it using Carbon Copy Cloner or either by pushing it using Acronis.

Alas it does not work out.

First check shows when pressing command-I for the share in NTFS it is set as a Shared folder and Sharing & Permissions says that I can read a write to it. Compared to an other partition formatted as Mac Os Extended (Journaled) where Shared folder is set to off and Sharing & Permissions shows a list of users who can access that partition and how they can access it.

The fact that I can’t see a list of users in Sharing & Permissions for that NTFS partition might be due to limitation of Paragon. I could not find any indication on their site to this issue.

Second check, verifying in Sharing of System preferences who is sharing that NTFS partition.

The user (Trans) I created and setup for file sharing has disappeared from the list of users who are allowed to share the partition. Only ‘traditional’ users of my iMac are allowed to access, for instance me and Everyone.

So no wonder I can’t access this partition from Windows.

If my memory serves me well all this was possible prior to Yosemite although with some issues due to access rights to some folders, because some were busy used by Windows or either the user making up the image has not all rights.

First possible work arounds is, connect the external drive directly to the Windows computer. But why would I do that since I have a network to connect computers together.

Second option is connect that external hard drive directly to my router (Proximus - Technicolor). I do not think this would make it more viable since the router has it’s own OS that might be totally different than OSX or Windows which implies more rights issues.

Has any one any clues to what I’m missing?

Techical data:

Windows side: Windows 8.1 on a Hp Pavilion laptop using Acronis True Image 2015 for PC Build 6525.

Apple Side: iMac early 2008 running Yosemite 10.10.3, Paragon NTFS for Mac v12.2.313 and Carbon Copy Cloner v4.0.6 .

External HD: is a Lacie Porche 3TB with USB 3

Network: Switch is Cisco/LinkSys SE2800, Ethernet over power is provided by Devolo and the router is a Technicolor provided by network provider Proximus.

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:30 PM

There are no replies.

Taking images from Windows computer via network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.