Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAC G3 Stuck On Login Window starting

I have a blue IMAC G3 with OS X Panther.

I was tampering with files years ago on this computer and deleted a file that stops the computer from going past "Login Window starting".

I have tried the trick where you reset everything on the computer except your files by using the commands

mount -uw /

and

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

(if i didn't type right now, i did at the time and it says that it doesn't exist.)

I also tried going into safe mode and it was still stuck.

I tried pressing the option, apple, r, and p keys 3 times trick and it didn't work.

I bought the Mac OS X cds to rewipe it and the cd drive doesn't work.

I thought the cd drive had something in it so i tried a trick to use the emergency cd thing with a ruler and also tried to use a utility which both didn't work.

So since all that didn't work, I was wondering if someone could help me solve whats wrong in different ways then that.

Do you think I can wipe it with a usb containing Mac OS X Panther? If i could how would I do this.

When I bought this computer it completely worked, even the cd drive, after I tampered with it, it hasn't been the same. This is a dead loved ones machine and I would like it to work again for a two year memorial on 4/20.

Please get back fast so I can have it ready in two days.

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.1.x), Old blue one

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 4:52 PM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Joshuafeirwell45

mount -uw /

and

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

rm is remove, delete, erase a file. On the next boot, the machine should be like a new machine. It should ask you to define a new administrator.

The machine will not boot from a usb drive.

You best look around ebay for a new cd drive. Do you have anyother imac g3? You can install there and move the harddrive to your machine.

What machine is it exactly. Does it have firewire. tray or slot loadking?

Apr 18, 2015 9:09 PM in response to Joshuafeirwell45

Does this blue iMac have a slot-loading or tray-loading optical drive? If it's a slot-loading type and if the iMac has a FireWire port, an external FireWire optical drive should boot the computer for installation of the OS. Keep in mind that the slot-loading iMacs have shown a tendency to develop problems with the PAV board (the major power-providing component) with age. When this occurs, the wise thing is to retire the computer. There are no new PAV boards and the expertise level required for replacing one would be described as "very skilled," because of the potential for serious electrical shock or worse. Because of this, you should decide how much money you'd want to invest to get it up and running. An external FireWire DVD±RW drive is $99 at Other World Computing. You might find a suitable external FireWire drive at ebay — even an older CD-ROM, CD-RW, or DVD-ROM. For that matter, you might also find a used/pulled internal optical drive for the slot-loading iMacs, which would be a CD-ROM, CD-RW, or DVD-ROM drive. Pulled drives are also old and likely to have high mileage. The slipping problem with old slot-loading drives, wherein the disk needs a push on insertion or a yank on eject, is also very common and the result of dried out rubber rollers that have lost their natural capability to grip the disks.

IMAC G3 Stuck On Login Window starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.