Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just Deleted an Important Project Alternative... HELP PLEASE!

Hello,

Im running Logic 10.1.1

I'm working on an important project, and i went into File>Alternatives to rename my Project.

I deleted the project by accident, and I'm frantically looking for a way to undo this Project Alternative deletion....

It doesn't seem to be in my Recycling Bin, does anyone know what i can do to get my project file back?

Please jesus let there be a way...

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:29 PM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2015 11:35 PM in response to Superjhhguih

If you were running a backup then you should be able to recover it from that. However if you weren't, then there is no easy way of recovering it. There are several file recovery programs, though their success tends to be very variable - Google on OSX file recovery. There are also firms who will recover data for you but they are very expensive.

If you are going to try either method you need to stop using your computer immediately. Any time you use it you are running the risk of it overwriting the data on the disk, at which point it is completely unrecoverable.

Always back up comprehensively.

Apr 19, 2015 12:09 AM in response to Superjhhguih

I can't answer for Logic, but from what you say it sounds as if it's in the same state as if it had been in the Trash and the Trash had been emptied - it's on the hard disk but has been erased from the Directory, so it's in imminent danger of being overwritten when the system takes it into its mind to do so. If you've gone on using the computer you've increased the chance of this happening.

Apr 19, 2015 12:30 AM in response to Superjhhguih

Does logic just completely erase Project Alternative when you click "Remove"? Or do they sit somewhere dormant?

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, yes.. it simply removes the alternative version.. (which is stored as edits of the original version)

Once removed I know of no way to retrieve it.. unless you have been making backups with Time Machine etc... and even then it can be a bit tricky....

However, check the project folder for the backup folder inside it that Logic automatically makes.. and look in there, just in case..

If you have been saving projects as single files and not as folders.. right/control click on the project in Finder and select "show Package contents" You should then see the contents of your project as if it were saved as a folder.. and the backups folder may be found in there..

Apr 19, 2015 12:38 AM in response to Superjhhguih

Then Im sorry but you have lost that version....

Without backups there is nothing anyone can do at this stage unfortunately....

It's a hard and frustrating lesson that most of us have learned at some stage in our lives.....but please start making backups right away... as in the future you then have a much better chance of recovering accidentally deleted or corrupted data... and its not a matter of if this happens again but when, because it always does.

Just Deleted an Important Project Alternative... HELP PLEASE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.