Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn on "Flash On Activity" for Airport Extreme ac?

I'm using Airport Utility 7.7.3 with a new Airport Extreme ac. The green light is currently staying on, solid. However, I would like it to flash on network activity.

The latest instructions I can find (AirPort base stations: About AirPort base station status lights (LED) - Apple Support) shows an older Airport Extreme (the small, flat one with a/b/g/n capability). The instructions say:

f you choose Flash On Activity from the Status Light pop-up menu (in the Base Station pane of AirPort settings in AirPort Utility), the status light will flash green to indicate normal activity.

However, Airport Utility isn't showing this popup in the Base Station pane (or anywhere else I can see).

Any idea how I can turn on the "Flash On Activity" option for the new AEBS?

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 6:29 PM

10 replies

Apr 24, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Well... I've been using the flash option just fine with the previous version Airport Extreme and Airport Utility 7.7.3, so I don't think Airport Utility is the problem.

I definitely agree with you about the removal of the "20+ other useful options", though. I wouldn't be surprised, then, if they'd taken the flash out of the new Airport Extreme. I'm so sad...

Apr 26, 2015 10:12 AM in response to lisfolks

The flash on activity does still work on the AC model TC and Extreme.. you just need to use v5 utility to turn it on and off.

Some functions that you select in the old utility and update to the TC do nothing because the function was removed from the firmware.. Other functions are still working but the v6 utility gives no access to it.. Flash on Activity seems a rather petty thing to block..when it was compiled into the firmware.. but then Apple is capable of pettiness.

Apr 24, 2015 5:17 PM in response to lisfolks

I've been using the flash option just fine with the previous version Airport Extreme and Airport Utility 7.7.3

You have your firmware and AirPort Utility version numbers mixed up. 7.7.3 is firmware for the newer AirPort Extreme (and Time Capsule). There is no AirPort Utility 7.7.3.

The most up to date version of AirPort Utility is 6.3.5.

You asked about the flash on activity feature in AirPort Utility 6.3.x. It is not there. It cannot be enabled....but, on the other hand if you have previously enabled it in an earlier 5.x version of AirPort Utility, then the light will continue to flash on activity. In fact, you cannot turn it off using AirPort Utility 6.3.x, even if you want to do this.

If you have another Mac running the 5.x version of AirPort Utility, you can use that to change the flash on activity setting for the newer AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule. You will see a warning message when you do this, so you will have to click to ignore that.

Apr 26, 2015 10:45 AM in response to lisfolks

If the older MacBook Pro is running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating systems, then there will be a 5.x version of AirPort installed on the Mac that you could use.

If you try this, you will see a message that looks like this:

User uploaded file

So, you would click "Continue" to ignore the message and use the older 5.x version of AirPort Utility.

Since Apple specifies that users should use a 6.x version of the AirPort Utility or the iOS version of AirPort Utility for the newer 802.11ac products, some of the settings on the older version 5.x utility will "stick" on the newer AirPort and some will not.

For example, if you try to change the Radio Mode using the older 5.x utility, it will appear as if you can do this. But, after you restart the AirPort to update the settings, you will see that the Radio Mode setting has not changed at all.

The "Flash on Activity" option does not appear to work reliably when I test that setting here using an older 5.x version of AirPort Utility on a newer 802.11ac version of the AirPort Extreme.

Let us know if this works for you if you can.

Jul 14, 2015 10:37 AM in response to lisfolks

I came here today due to the same issue: not being able to set the status light to reflect activity with the latest and "greatest" Airport Utility.

My Macs are all 10.10.4 (today)

Fortunately, I have kept Airport Utility 5.6.1.app, since I need it to deal with the Gen. 1 Expresses. It won't launch directly in OS X; however, someone wrote, and I found, a script app that will launch 5.6.1, and I used it today to set the Status light of a new AE to reflect activity. That script is named AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher.app.

A search of the Internet, using the app name "AirPort Utility 5.6.1 Launcher" identified a source from which to download the compiled app.

Good luck

Mar 16, 2016 6:18 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Have the same issue...unfortunately, none of this has worked. I wonder if there's a difference in the time capsule base config file and the airport extreme AC base config file. I googled extensively on this and found nothing...however I did find some commands (see below). When you export your config file from your TC or AE

<key>leAC</key>

<integer>1</integer>

on line two...change the "1" to "2" and this should do it. Didn't work for me ( I have an AE). Worked for a buddy of mine with a TC

Be curious to know if it works for anyone else

Ron

Apr 24, 2016 8:12 AM in response to ronthmas

ronthmas wrote:

Have the same issue...unfortunately, none of this has worked. I wonder if there's a difference in the time capsule base config file and the airport extreme AC base config file. I googled extensively on this and found nothing...however I did find some commands (see below). When you export your config file from your TC or AE

<key>leAC</key>

<integer>1</integer>

on line two...change the "1" to "2" and this should do it. Didn't work for me ( I have an AE). Worked for a buddy of mine with a TC

Be curious to know if it works for anyone else

Ron

I have both AEBS and TC. With the LeAc flag set to 2 on both, only the LED on TC will flash on activity. I haven't find a way to get the LED on the AEBS to flash on activity yet.

Turn on "Flash On Activity" for Airport Extreme ac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.