Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I back up my my whole PC to my Airport Time Capsule?

My Airport Time Capsule with 2 TB was purchased the other day.

I figured out how to drag and drop files from my computer and Ipad, IPhone ect.. I was wondering if there was a way to completely back up one's PC the way one can with a Mac?

I understand that Iphones can be backed up to iTunes, and then with a Mac you would just back up your Mac to the Time capsule..

But I only have a PC.

Windows 8

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:13 AM

MS has a backup software built in .. however it is poor and even in Windows 8.. I think the cheap edition ie Not Pro will not backup to network drives.

However MS is really not often considered of any use at all in backup.. buy a standard windows backup program.. There are hundreds of them (if not thousands)..

A free one which does a decent job of full hard disk backup is Macrium Reflect. It will only do incremental if you pay the license.

There is a free version of Genius TimeLine.. never tried it but it might be ok.

Otherwise look up what are the 10 best backup programs in the usual review sites and pick one that suits your budget..

It will have no problems backing up to a TC.

However if you have network problems I strongly recommend the following.

1. Use ethernet.

2. Use SMB (windows) network names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES..

So if you have a TC with a name like Moon Stone's airport Time Capsule.. it is likely to have issues..

Short no spaces pure alphanumeric.. same for passwords.. names <10 characters.. passwords 8-20 characters.

3. Install the airport utility on your windows computer to provide bonjour for windows and disk access agent.

4. Turn off firewall if access is still a problem.. ensure the network is set to the correct HOME location.. NOT WORK.. NOT PUBLIC.. MS often gets a TC in the wrong location.

5. Did I mention use ethernet.. oh yeah.. use ethernet.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 12:13 AM in response to moonstone101

MS has a backup software built in .. however it is poor and even in Windows 8.. I think the cheap edition ie Not Pro will not backup to network drives.

However MS is really not often considered of any use at all in backup.. buy a standard windows backup program.. There are hundreds of them (if not thousands)..

A free one which does a decent job of full hard disk backup is Macrium Reflect. It will only do incremental if you pay the license.

There is a free version of Genius TimeLine.. never tried it but it might be ok.

Otherwise look up what are the 10 best backup programs in the usual review sites and pick one that suits your budget..

It will have no problems backing up to a TC.

However if you have network problems I strongly recommend the following.

1. Use ethernet.

2. Use SMB (windows) network names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES..

So if you have a TC with a name like Moon Stone's airport Time Capsule.. it is likely to have issues..

Short no spaces pure alphanumeric.. same for passwords.. names <10 characters.. passwords 8-20 characters.

3. Install the airport utility on your windows computer to provide bonjour for windows and disk access agent.

4. Turn off firewall if access is still a problem.. ensure the network is set to the correct HOME location.. NOT WORK.. NOT PUBLIC.. MS often gets a TC in the wrong location.

5. Did I mention use ethernet.. oh yeah.. use ethernet.

How do I back up my my whole PC to my Airport Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.