Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change my .mp4 video icon from to a photo

I tried to use the normal method : Select the .jpg photo -> Copy (Command + C) -> Select the .mp4 video -> Get Info (Command + I) -> Click on the icon -> Paste (Command + V). But This is the result User uploaded fileinstead of User uploaded file. Is there any way someone can help me with this?

Thank You. I will reply to this, if I have any edits.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:44 AM

User 2209 wrote:

Select the .jpg photo -> Copy (Command + C) ->

That will cuase the copying of the generic jpeg icon to the Clipboard, rather than copying the custom icon.

Try this.

Open the jpeg in Preview. A quick way to do this - select the jpeg, press the spacebar. Then double-click the image that opens. This should re-open the image in Preview.

You can also do a Get Info on the jpeg file, then double-click the image displayed midway in the Get Info window, in the section titled "Preview:".

Once the image is open in Preview, press Command-C or select Copy from the Edit menu (you do not need to do a Select All, nor use the crosshair to make a selection rectangle; a simple "Copy" will grab the entire image). This will place a copy of the image on the Clipboard.

Then go to the Get Info window for the video file, select the icon in the upper left, and Paste the image onto it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 6:44 AM in response to User 2209

User 2209 wrote:

Select the .jpg photo -> Copy (Command + C) ->

That will cuase the copying of the generic jpeg icon to the Clipboard, rather than copying the custom icon.

Try this.

Open the jpeg in Preview. A quick way to do this - select the jpeg, press the spacebar. Then double-click the image that opens. This should re-open the image in Preview.

You can also do a Get Info on the jpeg file, then double-click the image displayed midway in the Get Info window, in the section titled "Preview:".

Once the image is open in Preview, press Command-C or select Copy from the Edit menu (you do not need to do a Select All, nor use the crosshair to make a selection rectangle; a simple "Copy" will grab the entire image). This will place a copy of the image on the Clipboard.

Then go to the Get Info window for the video file, select the icon in the upper left, and Paste the image onto it.

How to change my .mp4 video icon from to a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.