Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate copies of music files

I just bought a new Macbook Pro with OS X Yosemite, and have been transferring content from other computers.

I had a substantial music collection in iTunes on a Windows 7 system. To transfer it to the new Mac, I copied all the folders/files from MyMusic/iTunes on the Windows box onto an external hard drive, and then copied them onto the Mac under /Users/myname/Music/iTunes.

When I then started iTunes, all of my music appeared correctly. However, it now looks to me as though iTunes on the Mac has made a second copy of all of the music files. In addition to the folders/files I placed in /Users/myname/Music/iTunes, there is now another set under /Users/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music.

So my question is this. I assume that the copy that iTunes for Mac wants is the set under /Users/myname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Am I safe in deleting the folders/files I placed directly under /Users/myname/Music/iTunes?

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 10:52 PM

The simple answer is "yes".

The cautious answer (which I recommend) is to delete a few files from /Users/myname/Music/iTunes and then check to see that all is behaving as expected. It should be.

3 replies

Duplicate copies of music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.