Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge CPU spike logic x on Yosemite 10.3

Hi there, this is my first post on this help site, and I know this has been asked before but none of the solutions have worked for me!

I Recently upgraded my machine to a refurbed 2009 Mac Pro; 12 core, 2.93ghz 24gb RAM. Which came loaded with Mavericks.

I am running logic 10.1 and decided to upgrade to the latest Yosemite 10.3.

SInce doing so I am getting a single random CPU spike showing on the last processing thread in the far right of the CPU meter!? All the others are barely showing usage and nicely distributed. Not using many plug ins but tend to use NI stuff, fab filter, XFER Serum, waves, waves factory track spacer etc. the problem seems to get worse when running small chain of plugs on aux busses?

Didnt seem seem to have this problem till I upgraded OSX?

Really frustrating as I want to use all cores and 24 multi threading capabilities but am also getting lag on stop/start using space bar, PLUS horrible latency of graphics!!??

i Have tried the sudo command via terminal suggested in another post which had no impact

I would really appreciate any help

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Logic x 10.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 10:31 PM

12 replies

Apr 20, 2015 2:53 AM in response to kauzer123

*Just to note that I loaded the same plugins into a Logic 9.1.8 arrangement and this problem does not seem to happen, which indicates it is not a hardware issue and potentially a problem between LPX and the latest version of Yoesmite?

If this is the problem could I somehow revert back to Mavericks?

I would really appreciate some help guys.

Thanks

Kevin

Apr 20, 2015 10:01 PM in response to kauzer123

Make sure you update LPX to 10.1.1......

Also...

Audio interface and driver version? Is driver certified for 10.1.x?

Make sure your plugins are updated to the latest versions.. NI stuff in particular needs the latest versions to work best with Yosemite 10.10.3

Make sure nothing else is running in the background when using LPX under Yosemite.. including any background tasks...

To double check... I suggest you use Etrecheck....

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

and generate a report which will let you know exactly what is installed/loaded and running on your Mac...

Just launch LPX along with the project but don't start it playing... and then run Etrecheck's report...

if you need any help with understanding the report, just post it up here...

Note: LPX under Yosemite places a much higher load on your system resources, mainly due to how Yosemite handles graphics and the new graphic libs LPX has to use with Yosemiite...

Also check core settings in both Kontakt and Logic's prefs.. Set to 12 and test.. then try out set to 8 too rather than automatic.. Some people have noticed big improvements with older 12 Core Mac Pros.... after changing the core settings..

I'm sticking with Logic-9 and 10.6.8 as it's incredibly solid

For the benefit of the OP... Same here... though i do run LPX and 10.10.3 on a couple of testbed systems and Im not noticing any major issues with core load sharing... Actually for me, it seems slightly better than LP9 is under Yosemite..

Apr 21, 2015 1:13 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Noise;Thank you so much for such a detailed response, it is great to know that there are folks out there that have such detailed understanding of such things, and who are willing to take time to share their knowledge!!

I am now up to date with LPX 10.1.1, all my NI stuff is also already on latest versions and am in the process of checking all my other plugs (this may take some time as i have a few).

I will also DL Etrecheck and run as instructed to see if this can shed some light on my issue.

I tend to not have any other Apps running at all as my Mac Pro is strictly for productions only, but will be sure to check this.

RE graphics lag; would a more powerful graphics card improve lag?

I had previously already played around with thread settings and it seems to sort out response issues (graphic and playback) when set lower 12 or 8 ; however this seems a little futile as the whole point of a 12 core mac was to fully utilize 24 threads 😕. But considering my previous Mac Pro was a first edition 1.1, 2006, I am in processing heaven!!

Perhaps I should have bitten the bullet and forked out for a brand new generation MP but the relative cost for similar power was nearly 4 times what i paid for a refurb machine!!!!

Anyways, thanks once again for your time and efforts in supporting my issue, and I will be sure to post my findings once everything is up to date.

Forever in your debt.

K

Apr 21, 2015 1:32 PM in response to kauzer123

RE graphics lag; would a more powerful graphics card improve lag?

That is indeed, what some people have found.. Cards with larger amounts of VRAM (2 or even better 4GB) have proven to work best.... and currently Nvidia seem to have the edge in terms of their/Apple's OS X drivers though that tends to flucuate back and forth as newer drivers are released...

I had previously already played around with thread settings and it seems to sort out response issues (graphic and playback) when set lower 12 or 8 ; however this seems a little futile as the whole point of a 12 core mac was to fully utilize 24 threads . But considering my previous Mac Pro was a first edition 1.1, 2006, I am in processing heaven!!

Heh.. I know what you mean.. I just got a 2015 MP (via a special deal I came across from on of my clients) and it literally flies but... so it should for what it's cost... even with the discount.. As far as the number of cores problem... I've found that both Kontakt (which I set to Off so OS X handles core loads when using it as an AU plugin) and setting LPX's core setting to 8 even though I have 16 cores... works best for my MP..

The trick with Kontakt is, in my opinion... if you intend to use more than one lib per Kontakt instance then set the cores to a max of 8 too... but if, like me you tend to use only one lib per instance of Kontakt.. and therefore use multiple instances of Kontakt's plugin within Logic.. then setting it to off helps a great deal.. However, this also seems to depend on the version/sub version being used and with some recent minor updates to K5, switching it back to 8 cores worked better... which is very confusing indeed.

Please note: This is an opinion, not a fact and I have nothing to backup my opinion.. other than personal experience with my setups here.. so please treat my suggestion as just that.

Note: There are many other factors at play with core load sharing inside of Logic.... It's a bit of a 'dark science' if you ask me....and open to many different opinions, interpretations and suggestions depending on the hardware involved...and work flows/logic setups etc... so indeed.. experimentation is the name of the game I've found... to discover what works best for you.

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 21, 2015 2:35 PM in response to kauzer123

kauzer123 wrote:

So Sorry "The Art Of Sound" - NOT "The Art Of Noise" 😝 DOH...

No problem! Once during an live radio interview with Anne Dudley, a Dutch interviewer kept calling her band, the Art Of Sound....... Much to her obvious frustration, despite the fact she corrected him several times.... i even once got an email from a huge fan of j.j. trying to contact him asking/begging him for a signed autographed Tee shirt, of all things..... 🙂

So it's happened before.. And it will no doubt happen again..... So again, no worries.....

Cheers..

NIgel

Apr 21, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

Instead of yelling at people for being stupid (not you k123) I'm trying humor. :-/

Well, good luck with that Clancy.. but Ive found those kind of people are also too stupid to understand the humor as well......

Not that my humor is actually that funny..... But then, in such cases.. I usually invoke the 'It's a Brit thing' excuse....

🙂

Huge CPU spike logic x on Yosemite 10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.