Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive renames itself

My hard drive keeps renaming itself for example this is what I had "Harddrive for mac" and now it's been renamed as "Harddrive for mac 1" .That wouldn't be so bad if the computer would let me change the name back. Every time I try to change the name back to "Harddrive for mac" the computer keeps renaming it as "Harddrive for mac "1". I go to the get info Side bar but every time I press enter it adds "1". Even if I don't press enter and I close the window for get info it's still named as "Harddrive for mac "1". I've tried other names and it doesn't add the extension "1" only on"Harddrive for mac" it that's the extension. And I have to keep the same name because there are programs that can't have their permissions changed(at least that's what they say). OH and the hard drive is an external hard drive via usb 3.0 and is from Western Digital (wd).So can someone please help me with this PLZ.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2013 late

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 11:31 AM

//edit: AHA! dismount your external drive, then use the Finder menu item Go -> Go to Folder to visit "/Volumes" (without the quotes). Delete anything you see there with a name resembling your external drive. External HDD renames itself to ALL CAPS/adds "1" to name

--> in my case there was a folder sitting there with my hard drives name even after dismounted drive. Deleted it, should be fixed now.

I had this problem and scoured the internet for the solution, took me forever to find it, and now I'm looking again...

But I know the solution has to do with deleting an invisible or deeply buried folder created by the hard drive, that duplicates itself when it crashes or something goes wrong. The fix worked great last time and was fine for weeks, until now it happened again. 😠

Hope that helps a little! I'm going to keep looking...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Version 10.11.4 OS X El Capitan, problem happening with external G drives

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 11:31 AM in response to Jeff__100

//edit: AHA! dismount your external drive, then use the Finder menu item Go -> Go to Folder to visit "/Volumes" (without the quotes). Delete anything you see there with a name resembling your external drive. External HDD renames itself to ALL CAPS/adds "1" to name

--> in my case there was a folder sitting there with my hard drives name even after dismounted drive. Deleted it, should be fixed now.

I had this problem and scoured the internet for the solution, took me forever to find it, and now I'm looking again...

But I know the solution has to do with deleting an invisible or deeply buried folder created by the hard drive, that duplicates itself when it crashes or something goes wrong. The fix worked great last time and was fine for weeks, until now it happened again. 😠

Hope that helps a little! I'm going to keep looking...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Version 10.11.4 OS X El Capitan, problem happening with external G drives

Hard drive renames itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.