Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite asosiasjons to Windows Vista

I am thinking to myself that this really reminds of Microsoft's Vista when it came on the market. This provides undeniable some associations I DO NOT like!

I installed Yosemite in version 10.10.1 and use it for about one week when i decide to go back to Mavericks because of several processor hang, it was in my case this process com.apple.IconServicesAgent ho make this happens.

When i return to Appstore and downloaded Yosemite this second time in version 10.10.2 (now 10.10.3) it runs smoothly on my mac (MBP late 2013 2,6 Ghz i5, 8 GB ram)

Have tried the same on my wife´s MBP (Mid. 2010 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core - 4 GB RAM) but there it seems like the machine "dos not welcome Yosemite" . 😕

My opinion of Yosemite in short terms:

I myself would like to keep the integration with iPad og iPone.

Thinking about all processor powers that is used to display transparent windows and menus could be used in better ways.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:37 AM

Over the last 10 years as Apple has upgraded the operating system each new upgrade has required a bit more memory. While 4GB of RAM may have seemed like a huge amount 3 years ago, it really is the minimum requirement today - especially for computers that have the relatively slow 5400 RPM hard drives. Upgrading RAM to at least 8GB should put some spring back into your wife's computer.

Another solution is to replace the mechanical hard drive with an SSD. Because a solid state drive is extremely fast the computer boots quickly and programs and files load quickly. But what many people don't understand is that virtual memory, which allows a computer to load more programs than it really has memory for, will also benefit from that speed boost. While 4GB of memory is holding the computer back, a MacBook Air or MBP retina computer can function quite well with that 4GB of RAM due to the SSD.

The optimal solution would be to upgrade to 8GB and replace the hard drive with an SSD. It will be like getting a new computer for about $200 US. I performed this upgrade on my 2009 MBP and was amazed by the improvement.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 2:37 AM in response to lniem

Over the last 10 years as Apple has upgraded the operating system each new upgrade has required a bit more memory. While 4GB of RAM may have seemed like a huge amount 3 years ago, it really is the minimum requirement today - especially for computers that have the relatively slow 5400 RPM hard drives. Upgrading RAM to at least 8GB should put some spring back into your wife's computer.

Another solution is to replace the mechanical hard drive with an SSD. Because a solid state drive is extremely fast the computer boots quickly and programs and files load quickly. But what many people don't understand is that virtual memory, which allows a computer to load more programs than it really has memory for, will also benefit from that speed boost. While 4GB of memory is holding the computer back, a MacBook Air or MBP retina computer can function quite well with that 4GB of RAM due to the SSD.

The optimal solution would be to upgrade to 8GB and replace the hard drive with an SSD. It will be like getting a new computer for about $200 US. I performed this upgrade on my 2009 MBP and was amazed by the improvement.

Apr 19, 2015 2:49 AM in response to dwb

Thank you for attention to my posts.

We have discussed the possibility to upgrade the RAM.

As a rule of thumb an upgrade to SSD will surely be the biggest investment in improved performance on any computer!

It´s still hope for an MBP mid. 2010 to run Yosemite with those upgrades you mentioned🙂

Yosemite asosiasjons to Windows Vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.