Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

purchased aac files mixed with m4p files

Hi, I haven't been able to find an answer to this question that I have. On 12-01-2012 I had purchased the soundtrack Full Metal Jacket now when I click get info and the file tab kind is listed as purchased aac audio file and all tracks are listed like this however when I go into the folder where the files are stored tracks 2-8 are listed as MPEG-4 audio file (protected) (.m4p) while tracks 1 and 9 through to 15 are listed as ,m4. never encountered this before was apple still using the DRM at that time or is it something else? I've never had an album purchase from Itunes that is like this in terms of different files on a single album

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 6:04 AM

JBurns7837 wrote:

Hi, I haven't been able to find an answer to this question that I have. On 12-01-2012 I had purchased the soundtrack Full Metal Jacket now when I click get info and the file tab kind is listed as purchased aac audio file and all tracks are listed like this however when I go into the folder where the files are stored tracks 2-8 are listed as MPEG-4 audio file (protected) (.m4p) while tracks 1 and 9 through to 15 are listed as ,m4. never encountered this before was apple still using the DRM at that time or is it something else? I've never had an album purchase from Itunes that is like this in terms of different files on a single album

JBurns,

If it was a new purchase, you should be getting only non-DRM (M4A) files:

All iTunes Store music and music videos for sale now are in iTunes Plus format.

I am not certain that the policy was in place in 2012. However, if you received "protected" files, I suggest that you contact iTunes Customer Service and get it corrected:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

Please let us know how it goes.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 6:04 AM in response to JBurns7837

JBurns7837 wrote:

JBurns,

If it was a new purchase, you should be getting only non-DRM (M4A) files:

All iTunes Store music and music videos for sale now are in iTunes Plus format.

I am not certain that the policy was in place in 2012. However, if you received "protected" files, I suggest that you contact iTunes Customer Service and get it corrected:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

Please let us know how it goes.

Apr 23, 2015 3:56 AM in response to JBurns7837

JBurns7837 wrote:

Hi, a rep from apple contacted me via and provided me with some solutions to solve my issue, Ended up converting the files to a new form and that solved the issue, Do I still need to keep the original folder that has the mixed file type?

Good!

As for keeping the old files, that depends. What is the new form and how did you do the conversion?

purchased aac files mixed with m4p files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.