Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini iPad 3 Can't sign in to iMessage or FaceTime

Hi All,

Purchased a a new Mini IPad 3 (8.3) for my son, set up us kids account with family sharing. Can't sign in into FaceTime or iMessage. FT worked once and never again!

I Have tried everything I know to do.

hard reset. No joy

reset all settings - no joy

changed Apple ID - password No joy

the Apple ID is good and gets verified. Mail is working. But when it comes to signing in to iMessage and FT nothing , nada!

I Have read in other posts that the problem is on Apples server side authentication issues.

have I missued something? My poor son saved so hard for for his iPad and it not working with these two issues. Help please.

Paul

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 1:21 AM

HI there I have the exact same problem , got my son ipadmini 3 in Thursday evening set it up on family sharing , set up his id and downloaded lots of his favourite games etc , Then I went to set up iMessage and then FaceTime and it won't let me sign into it to activate so frustrated! we have other iPhones and iPads and these all work fine so it does seem something wrong on apples side!

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2015 1:21 AM in response to PaulBun

HI there I have the exact same problem , got my son ipadmini 3 in Thursday evening set it up on family sharing , set up his id and downloaded lots of his favourite games etc , Then I went to set up iMessage and then FaceTime and it won't let me sign into it to activate so frustrated! we have other iPhones and iPads and these all work fine so it does seem something wrong on apples side!

Apr 20, 2015 9:22 AM in response to PaulBun

There are quite a few of us with this problem. This round seems to have started with the 8.2 update and continues with the 8.3 update. It's a problem on Apple's side. It seems similar to a problem in January with a previous update but I am no expert. I just know a lot of us suddenly can't sign into FaceTime or Message after updating.

If you start at page 18, you can see what we've tried. I also suggest calling AppleCare so they know how widespread this actually is and they can help when they finally fix this. Pretty sure it's a problem with AppleIDs, my AppleID won't work on my iPad Mini 3for FaceTime or Messages, but my friend's AppleID works on my IPad for FaceTime and Messages.

imessage and Facetime sign in activation error iPad ios8.1.2

Apr 23, 2015 8:31 AM in response to nigelHR

They tried telling me that too. It was my ISP or network. I replied with the fact that before calling them I tried at the Apple Store on their network.

Mine started working last night. Did they tweak something? Did I try just as my iPad's internal clock was just close enough to server time to validate? I have no idea!

But I hope you try using it on another network like at the Apple Store and then call them back. Good luck!

Apr 25, 2015 5:23 AM in response to nigelHR

Many have had this problem and there is detail discussion in the thread pointed out by 'shana above.

In summary it seems to be a problem with recently created AppleID's and mostly new iPads and especially mini 3.

The best advice to date is:-

1) confirm you have internet connection

2) check date and time - in settings - make sure your device time is not too far adrift. - then try again

3) log it with the Apple support people - and then make sure it gets taken up the chain - they will want you to do lots of resets etc but unlikely to help. Referral to the Apple store is unlikely to solve it (but at least you can prove it's not the wifi connection). Get them to log the problem with 'engineering'. Say it is an Apple ID problem (so if not under AppleCare you won't need to pay).

4) Keep trying (daily) to validate - but don't expect a quick fix

5) Don't expect Apple care to tell you if/when it is fixed as they don't seem to want to advertise that it is a wide problem.

6) Join the discussion about your experience.

Good luck to everyone with the problem!

mini 3 iOS8.0 with iMessage and Facetime now working.

Apr 25, 2015 12:45 PM in response to PaulBun

I don't understand how an update or patch will help, but I believe you that that's what they told you.

While my AppleID didn't work on my iPad Mini 3, at the same time it didn't work on anything else. I tried an iPod Touch(4 gen) and an iPod Mini 1.

My friend with the iPod Mini 1 could log in on my iPad Mini3

My husband's AppleID, which works on his iPod Touch *didn't* work on my iPad Mini3.

So, I don't know. All I know is it suddenly started working.

Apr 29, 2015 12:06 AM in response to PaulBun

Managed to sign in to the communities page with my Apple ID along with everything else........just not FaceTime or iMessage!!!!

this is obviously a major software issue that needs to be addressed. This is my first Apple purchase since decided to move away from android....one of the main reasons being FaceTime!!! 4 days in...not a great start!!!!!

come on Apple sort it out

Apr 29, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Carp71

They tried to blame my wifi network too till I told them it didn't work at the Apple Store either!

I think there are multiple issues causing this. Or combinatons of issues. An AppleID issue combined with a time issue? I don't know. Solutions that work for some people don't work for others.

Some people can sign into FaceTime/iMessage on all their devices except their iPad Mini 3. (or Air) Other people can't log in to FaceTime/iMessage on any device, and a third group can log into any device, even if others can't.

So it can't be totally a device problem or you wouldn't have some people able to log in.

People are saying it happened to them right after installing 8.2 or 8.3. I had it happen after I installed 8.2 but not instantly so I don''t know. Mine suddenly started working after a month of dealing with AppleCare and they won't respond to me anymore so I don't know if they did anything.

Apr 29, 2015 3:26 PM in response to PaulBun

Hi, exactly same problem here. Facetime and Messages in ipad Mini 3 worked for 10 minutes then it stopped working. No way to log in on Facetime. I called AppleCare and they said the would escalate the problem to engineering. Bought the ipad for my brother, who lives abroad, specially to use video calls with facetime. So DISAPPOINTING!.

We need a solution asap, please.

Mini iPad 3 Can't sign in to iMessage or FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.