Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Death to the Start-Up sound!

How do I turn off the start-up sound?

Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 21, 2006 5:35 AM

18 replies

Oct 21, 2006 6:27 AM in response to Lukcresd

Applescript:
Click here to launch Script Editor.
tell application "Terminal"
if not (exists window 1) then do script ""
do script "sudo sh -c \"echo \\\"osascript -e 'set volume 0'\\\" > /usr/local/bin/mute\" ; sudo chmod 777 /usr/local/bin/mute ; sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LogoutHook /usr/local/bin/mute" in front window
end tell

Please tell me if it works, I haven't tested it.

Oct 21, 2006 12:26 PM in response to Gnarlodious

I haven't tested your script either, but I would like to make one suggestion. Since loginwindow hooks run as "root", the permissions the "mute" script ends up with (777) could potentially introduce a security risk since it allows any user to edit the script to run their own evil commands with "root" privileges. Something like "755" or "700" might be more appropriate...

Also, I don't think "/usr/local/bin" exists by default so the ' echo' may fail with a "No such directory" type of error.

Oct 24, 2006 8:46 AM in response to Lukcresd

The chime is the equivalent of BIOS beep codes you hear on standard X86 hardware that uses BIOS. When things are wrong, you will hear different tones. The chime just indicates that all standard tests have passed.

Most Macs are designed to "sleep" instead of be shut down entirely, and by that line of logic you aren't constantly powering the unit up and down, so the chime won't be heard as often as it otherwise would be.

However, the chime CAN be silenced without additional software by holding down the mute key on a standard Apple keyboard, or the F3-key I believe it is, on Apple notebooks while pressing the power button. This setting is not saved, but per-session, so you'll have to do it everytime you power-on if you never want to hear the chime again.

Oct 24, 2006 10:17 AM in response to ali brown

Not a reply to all brown but to the first post. What I do is insert a blank jack into the line out audio socket. I take the point about the warning but any aerror would probably become apparent in some other way.

At the moment I have the said socket occupied by a link to two external speakers which are not powered up and so do not produce a sound. The speaker power comes via a plug with a radio operated switch.

Dec 15, 2006 10:08 AM in response to Robert Newall

Hi, I've done the blank jack in the line out audio socket for the last 12 years of Mac use. It's always worked until now...I now have the new iMac and I cannot stop the start up bongs - even with the jack in place. I turn the volume to mute (which works on my identical iMac in the office), sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. There seems to be no explanation to it??

Death to the Start-Up sound!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.