Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an airport express only for the USB printer connection?

I have recently replaced my airport express with a TP-LINK router. We felt the airport express was not strong enough to reach all areas of our apartment. However, the new router does not have a USB port on it, but I'd still like to use the airport express as a wireless printer connection only (via the USB port). Is this possible? I haven't the slightest idea where to begin setting this up correctly. I tried plugging an Ethernet line directly from the new router into the WAN in port of the Airport Express. Then I wasn't sure how it should be configured. Does the Airport actually need an Internet connection to use the USB printing connection?

Could anybody lend some advice and assistance here??

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 1:25 AM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2015 2:41 AM in response to muzikT70

The Express needs a network connection. Since the rest of the network has internet so must the express.

Plug in the express by ethernet to the TP-Link .. that is fine.

Put the Express in bridge mode..

And plug in your printer.. there is nothing more complicated about it.

If the airport utility is not allowing you the correct configuration do it manually.

Always start with a factory reset.

Click on the express in the airport utility.. click on edit button.

User uploaded file

Then go to the Internet tab and ensure it is set to dhcp.. go to the wireless tab.. you can turn it off or set it to create a wireless network.. either of those is fine.. you cannot extend and you should not join a wireless network.

Go to the network tab and select off (bridge mode)..

Voila you are done.

Plug in the printer and then see how you go accessing it over the network.

Can I use an airport express only for the USB printer connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.