Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library, Optimise Mac Storage, and off-line copy

Hi all,

I'm helping someone with a large Photos library, and the process has raised a few questions:

• They're using a Macbook Pro
  • The Photos library is about 350GB, and is stored on an external hard drive because it's too large for the Macintosh HD.
  • It's in the process of being uploaded to iCloud

Once it's uploaded, ideally we would like to be able to access it without connecting the external hard drive, so I was wondering....

If we:

• launch Photos with the external hard drive Disconnected
  • create a new, empty Photos library on Macintosh HD.
  • In Photos->Preferences->iCloud, tick the "iCloud Photo Library", and "Optimse Mac Storage" options

We should be able to access the entire iCloud Photo Library, is that right?

And, any new photos imported to the library on the Macintosh HD will be synced to the iCloud Photo Library?

Further more, if we then connect that external hard drive and, upon launching Photos, hold down the Alt / Option key, in order to select the Photos Library on the external hard drive, once that library is open, as long as the option for "Optimise Mac Storage" is deselected for that specific library, it should sync / download any new photos that had since been added via the Macintosh HD Photos library?

So, as long as we switch between libraries once every while, we could have the entire library in sync and stored locally on the external hard drive for off-line access?

I'll be testing this out when i get a chance, but just thought I'd through it out there to see if others had any experience or opinion.

Many thanks,

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:01 AM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:41 PM in response to Col Kav

I'm wondering the same thing.

One question about your plan: Which library will be designated the main system library?

Here's an Apple page with details on the system library:

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

It does seem to me that given the proliferation of 128GB and 256GB MacBooks, Apple should have some clear information on how you manage a Photos library on external storage — or move it from external storage on a MacBook with the optimization option selected.

May 29, 2015 12:12 AM in response to Col Kav

I hope this works out. Any update?

I was thinking maybe I can login to my iCloud-account using the admin account, use that to designate the large library on the external drive as my main library. Then, open a Photos library on my Macbook's SSD and checkmark 'optimize mac storage'.

I guess your workaround is better, if it works.

iCloud photo library, Optimise Mac Storage, and off-line copy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.