Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless hard drive

I have a macbook pro and a ton of photos (first time mom syndrome!). I have an external hard drive with firewire and I moved my iphoto library to it. Unfortunately, twice it has accidently been disconnected while iphoto was working and I had to restore a backup. It was painful (Took too long to download the data and iphoto to rebuild the library).

I'm trying to come up with a better solution, but I'm quite lost and I would appreciate your help!

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Ditch iphoto/photos and move to picasa/lyn so my photos are accessible in "normal" folders (i'm currently in the process of organizing all the photos in logical folders - any tips appreciated!)

- Get some kind of wireless storage solution. It will store all my photos/movies and maybe itunes spanned library, so 1 tb necessary. It needs to be visible from the finder so that crashplan can do a backup to its servers.

from what I've read airport time Capsule is not intended for this, only backup. Lacie's rugged fuel would not work because it's not visible on finder. What options do I have?

SOmething that behaves like a normal external hard drive but no cords?

THanks a lot!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 1:29 AM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2015 2:00 AM in response to Sofiambp

You have several options. First, as you suggested, a wireless drive and I've linked the results of a search at Amazon. I have just a little experience having set up two of Seagate wireless drives for friends/family. It was pretty simple to configure and I've heard no complaints from the two who are using them. Second is wireless router that can share hard drives which has become a very common feature. Having used several different WiFi routers I've been using Apple's Express Base Station for the last few years - not Time Capsule though that too will work. What I like about the AEBS is that Apple updates the software/firmware frequently, as do many vendors, and then automatically tells us. With so many other vendors it is the user's responsibility to check back frequently for updates. I have a 3TB hard drive connected to my AEBS which holds my entire media collection and find that it is a very good solution. After getting the AEBS configured (very straightforward) I connected the drive, mounted it on my desktop, and then dragged the drive's icon into the Login Items of my User Account so that it automatically mounts when I log in.

Wireless hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.