Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete incorrect face suggestions

Does anyone know how to prevent incorrect face names from being suggested when tagging new photos in the Photos app?

Example:

When tagging a new face, I incorrectly spell “Tom” as “Ton” and press Return by mistake. The incorrect record “Ton” is written to the Person.db database file in the Photos library package. From now on, every time I start typing “To…”, Photos suggests “Tom” and “Ton” in the menu dropping down from the Faces data entry field.

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 2:21 AM

29 replies

Apr 19, 2015 3:45 AM in response to Syfaka

Not sure if this might help, but I drag and drop 'new faces' into those already matched - so I'd drag a new image of Tom into Tom.

If you have many Faces it might not work if they are not all on screen at once (eg if you had to scroll)

I assume you deleted the Ton entry (right mouse click, 2 finger tap or ctrl click to get the menu to delete).

Apr 19, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Yes, I tried all your suggestions. I also tried to "trick" the database into overwriting “Ton” (to continue with my example) into “Tommy”, to no avail.

I can easily see the incorrect database records with an SQLite browser, but I can’t delete them. I thought that’s the only way to go and was hoping for some advice involving the direct manipulation of the Person.db database.

Never mind, I guess we’ll all have to hope that a future update will solve this annoyance.

Thanks for your reply!

Apr 19, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Syfaka

ON the Faces album screen, select the Ton circle and drag it on top of the Tom circle. That ensures all instances of Ton are renamed to Tom. Relaunch Photos for good measure.

You should never manipulate these kind of databases manually. There are dependencies that you would not know about. You're asking (or already did?) for problems.

Apr 19, 2015 3:47 PM in response to sjbissett

Yes it does work here. I even double-checked before posting. The name without any related images is removed from the suggestions pull-down menu.

As I implied, the trick is to change every single instance of Ton. Please check if you have any Tons in the Hidden Photos and Recently Deleted albums. if you have iCloud Photos Library turned on, remember that this Ton deletion has to propagte across all your devices before its "finalized," so give Photos some time to settle down. If non of this is working for you, it might in fact be a corrupted database. Rebuilding the database is not a big deal. Just make sure you have a backup before you start.

For what it's worth, Photos is also smart enough to change the order in which the suggested names are presented. If you keep choosing Tom and ignoring Ton, Tom should end up as the first suggestion.

Delete incorrect face suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.