Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos update causes hidden photos to appear in screensaver slideshow

The upgrade to Photos caused me a few issues relating to hidden photos. First, I started seeing photos I had hidden appear in the screensaver. Then I went to find the hidden photos to re-hide them, but they seemed to be already hidden. Then I couldn't show the Hidden Photos Album -- I had to hide a new photo in order to activate the "Show Hidden Album" option in the menu. Once I did that, I could see all of my previously hidden photos.

HIdden photos continue to appear in the screensaver, however. Can anyone find a new setting somewhere to ensure that hidden photos don't show, or is this a bug?

Mac mini (Late 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:46 PM

In Photos.app the only place pics are hidden is in Moments view. That's because that's the only place you must have a photo.

Make an album without the hidden images and use that for your screensaver.

12 replies

Apr 20, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Yer_Man

There's no justification - this is a BUG.

Hidden photos not only appear in screensaver slideshows, but also in Albums and in iPhoto Events. The only place they are truly hidden is in Moments. This is incorrect behavior. Hidden means hidden, unless you Show Hidden Photo Album or turn on hidden photos under View, which you can't even do any longer in Photos which you could do in iPhoto. Having hidden photos appear in Albums, Events, and Slideshows can lead to quite embarrassing or confusing results. People hide photos for various reasons and to have them appear without explicitly turning on the viewing of hidden photos is really bad behavior.

This needs to be fixed.

Apr 21, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

How do you know what the intention was, and how it "hardly seems to be the case here"?

So you're saying it was intended to show photos marked as "hidden" in albums, slideshows, and events? If so, what's the point of having specifying photos as hidden when they're clearly not being hidden very well at all?

This is not how it worked in iPhoto - hidden meant hidden from any photo display, unless you specified Show Hidden Photos in View. To intentionally change the behavior indicates the designers felt that this was a better way. I can't see how freely displaying hidden photos is an improvement, can you?

Already provided feedback.

Apr 21, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Fung Koo

In the end, the screensaver issue is resolved by going one step further down (what is being called "Moments") when selecting what to show. Hidden photos no longer appear. When you simply select the library, which is how I did it in iPhoto, it shows hidden photos.

To answer myself: there is no option anywhere to ensure that hidden photos do not appear on your screensaver.

As to the rest, if it's a bug it will get fixed; if it's a feature, we adapt to change. Feedback, it seems, is necessary.

Jun 8, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Yer_Man

Given that 'Moments' is a bizarre photo album not controlled by the user, this is not particularly helpful advice.

People create albums or collections of photos for various reasons. I, for example, in this digital age, often 'snap' invoices, receipts, booking confirmations and other legal documents when travellling. I don't want them 'popping up' via iCloud... or anywhere else unless I need them.

This BUG needs to be urgently fixed...

Aug 16, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm sorry, but when complaints are justified, as they are in this case, telling a poster to "quit complaining" is just rude. I concur with the OP that this is a rather pointless loss of functionality. While this isn't an official channel for bug reports, we all know that Apple engineers visit the boards.

There's nothing wrong with complaining about a change when it's as poorly thought out as this is.

Aug 16, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Eric Westby

Not according to the Apple Support Community Terms of Use paragraph 2.3:

Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well. If your Submission contains the phrase "I'm sorry for the rant, but…" you are likely in violation of this policy.

As you've been told before complaints should be made here: \https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Photos update causes hidden photos to appear in screensaver slideshow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.