Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera." iMovie 10.0.7

I REALLY NEED HELP! I HAVE A FILM CHALLENGE THAT NEEDS THIS BY 2:00 PM!!! Every time I try to export an iMovie, it says "this item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera," *** does that even mean?! Right now, I was just gonna screen record the project, and add the music and audio after. But still, I NEED HELP NOW!!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), I NEED AN ANSWER NOW!!

Posted on Apr 19, 2015 5:44 AM

2 replies

Sep 12, 2015 12:10 PM in response to 22daniels

Currently in the same boat. This problem appears to have been going on since 2013 from other areas on the Discussion Board.

About half of my clips imported from the SD card, half didn't. The half that didn't have a little camera icon on them. When I hover over the area icon just right the pop up says "The media for this clip is still on the camera. To begin importing, select "Re-import from camera/archive... From the file menu ". The problem is there is no longer a re-import.

Moving the movie to the "Theater" works, yet the old workaround of saving another copy and recovering the movie from the trash does not work.

If I move a clip to the trash, and then try and import it again, it still has the little camera icon on it.

I am starting to think that Apple, like Google has lost its way and would rather we buy software on the Apple Store than keep making their software that is bundled with our Macs work properly. "Follow The Money".

I have duplicated the movie, and now when I try to share the icons just beep. So a restart, and I try to share as a file, and I get "file has missing media, if you click continue your file will be missing these clips". After about 10 minutes a message pops up "Share failed FFtranscoderUNShareOperationFailediMovieTheater-Gluten Free Pizza" . "Gluten Free Pizza" is the name of the iMovie. test

The clips are right there! Why can't the movie render and create a video using clips on a sim card? Why do they have to be imported to begin with? Why can't I import them? Why can't I share a finished movie that is in my "Theater"? Any of those options would solve the problem, and it used to work fine in version 9. I already had to go back to Pages 9, so it looks like I will lose this work, uninstall 10 but where do I get iMovie 9??

Apple?...Apple?....Apple?

Time for a Support Call.

So I got in the que for support and here is what we did.

New library - imported all media - ejected sd card

All media appeared in the library without the little camera symbols.

New movie -named it test 3

Returned to old movie

Edit - Select All

Edit - Copy

GO to new movie in new library

Edit Paste

And Nothing.....

The clips all properly imported to the new library, but somehow the metadata for the clip keeps saying that the clip is on the camera. We even deleted a clip and copied down the same clip from the new library with the chip removed and it says "camera not available".

It also killed the movie that we had on the Theater side and re-uploaded a new version without the clips! Talk about bad code. Come on guys, if you can make the movie with the referenced files on the SD card, you can store it as a movie and not lose it. Why can't I share finished movies from the "Theater"?

The advisor just suggested final cut pro. "Follow The Money".

The answer is Don't remove your SD card until all the files are transferred, and then remove the card before building anything.

Sep 12, 2015 4:26 PM in response to 737SNAPilot

Update and a possible fix/workaround while apple try's to get a better solution? Sorry 22daniels it wasn't by 2:00pm 5 months ago though.

After some time on the phone with a senior tech rep, I am sure that I removed the SD card before the items finished importing creating the problem.

That said, what I did to fix it was Create a new library. Import everything into the new library.

Moved the Sound links to the end title page so I only lost the video clips.

Deleted the missing clips from timeline and the original library, making notes on the clip numbers in the library as I deleted them. We had multiple takes of every clip, and yes they imported to the new library in the same order making the recovery a bit faster

Closed the original library with the clips that had the camera icon.

Closed iMovie

Restarted my Mac

Opened iMovie

Moved the clips back to the timeline,

Moved the Audio tracks back to the right clips

Shared away, About 2 hours of rebuild time total, but way better that redoing all of the work since we had a sound issue and had to ADR the entire video, and add in foley effects.

http://www.beachstreetnews.com/gluten-free-pizza-test-video/

"This item cannot be shared while it is still referencing media on the camera." iMovie 10.0.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.